This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Excel Tank, Cool or Unusual Plant Ideas?

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by Crom, May 7, 2015.

1. Crom

Crom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:41 PM
    Excel tank, non Co2 of course...

I need some plant ideas besides the standard Anubias, Java, Crypts etc....

I do currently have a Red Tiger Lotus and a Crinium Calimistratum or Natas not sure which..

I like plants that root, I have a few fish so plants that get easily uprooted aren't what I am looking for.

- I'm looking for a big thick corner plant? Maybe a Sword, but I find them overwhelming. I had a Ruffled Sword once, and it was just too much maintenance. It can be tall, I don't mind if it grows out the top, it's an open tank.

- I could use some short foregrounders, not necessarily carpet types, anything interesting.

- Lastly, I want to stick some moss or something like that to some driftwood. Which is best, I have some Christmas Moss now.

Just really just grasping for thoughts here..... Thanks.

2. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    3:41 PM
    Ferns can grow to a big size, if you don't like java fern, go with thors hammer or dragon's tail or some sort of rarity. A sword - echinodorus red diamond grows to medium size and won't be too big. With moss there are so many out there all have their certain characteristics and beauty. For foreground I suggest a marsilea. Just really naming suggestions of plants. I like the rarities.

3. Crom

Crom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:41 PM
    Thanks.... I just got the Hammer thorn, but I believe it is going by a different name.

I ordered some marsilea. Originally I got the hirisuta by accident, and it hasn't really grown at all. I just ordered the marsilea quadrifolia because it is supposed to be a little less demanding light wise.

I managed to fill much of the backdrop with Mexican Oak Leaf (if I can keep it rooted) which should give me enough bio mass to where I can avoid algae, hopefully.

I once had Christmas Moss take over half a tank, it was really quite cool. Those were much brighter T5's than my current LED setup.