Excel Tank, Cool or Unusual Plant Ideas?

Crom

Junior Poster
Jan 27, 2015
Excel tank, non Co2 of course...

I need some plant ideas besides the standard Anubias, Java, Crypts etc....

I do currently have a Red Tiger Lotus and a Crinium Calimistratum or Natas not sure which..

I like plants that root, I have a few fish so plants that get easily uprooted aren't what I am looking for.

- I'm looking for a big thick corner plant? Maybe a Sword, but I find them overwhelming. I had a Ruffled Sword once, and it was just too much maintenance. It can be tall, I don't mind if it grows out the top, it's an open tank.

- I could use some short foregrounders, not necessarily carpet types, anything interesting.

- Lastly, I want to stick some moss or something like that to some driftwood. Which is best, I have some Christmas Moss now.

Just really just grasping for thoughts here..... Thanks.

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Ferns can grow to a big size, if you don't like java fern, go with thors hammer or dragon's tail or some sort of rarity. A sword - echinodorus red diamond grows to medium size and won't be too big. With moss there are so many out there all have their certain characteristics and beauty. For foreground I suggest a marsilea. Just really naming suggestions of plants. I like the rarities.

Crom

Junior Poster
Jan 27, 2015
Thanks.... I just got the Hammer thorn, but I believe it is going by a different name.

I ordered some marsilea. Originally I got the hirisuta by accident, and it hasn't really grown at all. I just ordered the marsilea quadrifolia because it is supposed to be a little less demanding light wise.

I managed to fill much of the backdrop with Mexican Oak Leaf (if I can keep it rooted) which should give me enough bio mass to where I can avoid algae, hopefully.

I once had Christmas Moss take over half a tank, it was really quite cool. Those were much brighter T5's than my current LED setup.