Excel Initial Dose

Frank158

Jul 11, 2017
Winnipeg
I've always had a question about the initial dose of Excel. According to the bottle it is recommended that you dose the tank 5ml per 10 gallons then daily dose is 1ml per 10 gallons. I've also read that Excel completely dissipates after 24 hrs therefore the reason to dose daily.

So the question is, why perform the 5x initial dose if it all dissipates the next day anyway? Seems like a waste to me. I typically do my water change a few hours before the lights go on and think that I can just stick with the daily dose.

rajkm

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Sep 16, 2015
Hillsboro, OR
I think there is more to it.
One thing for sure is that it reacts with iron to convert Fe3 to Fe2. So I am sure there are more ionic reactions which could result in wastage.. that's just a guess.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
The 5 ml/10 gallons dosage is very hard on certain plants, setting them back considerably (vals, for example). I stopped doing that dosage a few years ago, and have never regretted it.

Seattle_Aquarist

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hi Frank158,

I asked Seachem the exact same question, the answer was appropriate. If we are trying to attain a certain ppm of available carbon molecules then when we do a significant water change we have reduced the available carbon molecules in the tank. The higher 'Initial Dose' amount is how the carbon molecule ppm is brought back to the ppm level before the water change.

Dale Hazey

Junior Poster
Feb 18, 2017
Search their forums and some of their people will give slightly different answers about the life of Excel in the water column. Definitely dose before lights come on.
Some posts by seachem state Excel will only last 11-12 hours, some say 24 hours.

I wouldn't bother with the post W/C dose.
Tom has suggested dosing 1.5-2x the daily dose in the no CO2 article. I did that for a long time and it worked very well.

Reactions: VaughnH

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
I wouldn't bother with the post W/C dose.
Tom has suggested dosing 1.5-2x the daily dose in the no CO2 article. I did that for a long time and it worked very well.

This is why I changed to a 2X Excel dosage, daily, with no water change "super dose". When I read the test report of API's version of Excel, where they don't do the "super dose", I realized that what that report really showed was the advantage of not doing that "super dose". All it did, that was measurable was slow the initial growth of plants. (Not all plants, but some of them.)

Reactions: Dale Hazey