This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Excel Initial Dose

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by Frank158, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Frank158

Frank158 New Member

I've always had a question about the initial dose of Excel. According to the bottle it is recommended that you dose the tank 5ml per 10 gallons then daily dose is 1ml per 10 gallons. I've also read that Excel completely dissipates after 24 hrs therefore the reason to dose daily.

So the question is, why perform the 5x initial dose if it all dissipates the next day anyway? Seems like a waste to me. I typically do my water change a few hours before the lights go on and think that I can just stick with the daily dose.

2. burr740

burr740 ~~ Lover of Micros ~~
    Staff Member Moderator

If you're battling BBA it could be useful. That's the only benefit I can see from the large post water change dose.

slipfinger likes this.
  3. Frank158

Frank158 New Member

So in other words your saying that the 5x initial dose is kinda of a waste of Excel

4. rajkm

rajkm Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I think there is more to it.
    One thing for sure is that it reacts with iron to convert Fe3 to Fe2. So I am sure there are more ionic reactions which could result in wastage.. that's just a guess.

5. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

The 5 ml/10 gallons dosage is very hard on certain plants, setting them back considerably (vals, for example). I stopped doing that dosage a few years ago, and have never regretted it.

6. Frank158

Frank158 New Member

Yes I agree. I'm just curious about why the initial 5x dose in the first place.

7. Seattle_Aquarist

Seattle_Aquarist Guru Class Expert

Hi Frank158,

I asked Seachem the exact same question, the answer was appropriate. If we are trying to attain a certain ppm of available carbon molecules then when we do a significant water change we have reduced the available carbon molecules in the tank. The higher 'Initial Dose' amount is how the carbon molecule ppm is brought back to the ppm level before the water change.

8. Frank158

Frank158 New Member

Thanks for that. I'm an accountant not a chemist so will have to take Seachem's answer at their word.