Excel and Activated Carbon...

jnms

Junior Poster
Oct 31, 2008
Hi, new here - great site!

I have a question regarding Excel. I have been using DIY CO2 and finding it has no real benefit - so am considering using Excel.

However I use activated carbon in my filter to remove the tannins my bogwood releases. Would the carbon adsorb the Excel?

One other question as I am here. The bogwood was soaked for ages, until the water ran clear. However I still find that tannins leaches into the water over time. Other than activated carbon - is there any way of removing the tannins? (Water changes aside).

SpeedEuphoria

Prolific Poster
Aug 16, 2008
Excel in my experience is good at killing algae, but not much for the plants. I would Think DIY CO2 would be better if its stable and high enough output, did you ever check the CO2 levels?

jnms

Junior Poster
Oct 31, 2008
SpeedEuphoria;30618 said:
Excel in my experience is good at killing algae, but not much for the plants. I would Think DIY CO2 would be better if its stable and high enough output, did you ever check the CO2 levels?

No, I haven't got a drop checker yet. I did use the Ph / Kh calculation - which as I understand isn't very reliable. At any rate the calculations showed by CO2 at 5.2ppm. But I can't imagine it being that stable - as I find stability fairly hard to achieve with DIY CO2.

Panda;30616 said:
Boiling it

Ok, I will remove the bogwood and boil it.

SpeedEuphoria

Prolific Poster
Aug 16, 2008
with DIY CO2 I think you want to try and get around 15-20ppm. People with pressurized go to 30ppm or above. 5ppm sounds like nothing. The reason I dont think 30ppm with CO2 would be a good idea is that its hard to regulate so could go over, also many dont have a way for it to bleed off at night which can cause issues.