This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Everything is Melting

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Philosophos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:49 AM
    I've got no health insurance, so the black stuff stays out of my mouth for now :p

I read that bit on thekrib before posting about the black tips. I really have my doubts that it's micros; I dose CSM+B well and supplement with flourish, and I have hard water with a ton of micros softened by fresh ADA AS. The trace wasn't spoiled either. Perhaps something in the macros spoiling prevented the use of trace enough to cause those symptoms.

-Philosophos

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Philosophos,

Yeah I figured it was reaching.;)

Sorry I couldn't be of any assistance.

Biollante

3. Philosophos

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey no problem. I've come to accept that given my equipment and knowledge, there's a huge pile of questions I'm completely unable to answer. Most of us are in the same boat, the ones who aren't probably wouldn't expend their time or resources because of the cost. I think this is where many hobbyists sinks into conjecture rather than saying, "I don't know."

I'm going to say that I can suspect fert contamination, but I don't have enough reasonable evidence to be conclusive. If fert contamination was the cause, I certainly don't know why it had that precise effect. This is a good example of a situation where the hobbyist should cut his or her losses and move on.

Thankyou for your efforts in figuring this out, Biollante. You too, Tom.

-Philosophos

4. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    9:49 PM
    If you have a very bad problem, just start again from the start. I always do that and works for me. Is difficult (impossible) understand all in the life.

5. Philosophos

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    As an update to things, the melting has stopped and re-growth is going pretty well. Some of the old growth is still deteriorating in the denser areas, but all of the new growth is quite healthy. The relatively picky star grass has nice, straight leaves and good density. Crypts are growing like nuts, swords are doing well, etc.

The one remaining issue is staurogyne. It no longer melts, but bite like chunks randomy disappear from leaves whether old or new. I can't find much of a pattern to it either; even the stuff sitting all of 4 inches away from the powerhead getting direct CO2 has chunks missing on vigerous, healthy growth. No melt, no discollerment, no other structure issues. The chunks appear always from the edges inward, but may start anywhere around the edge of the leaf.

My stock list looks like pencil fish, otos, A. cacatuoides and rcs. Nothing I'd normally suspect to eat plants.

I'm willing to try anything at this point; I'll even try playing with the CO2 again.

-Philosophos

6. DaBub

DaBub Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    What you describe sounds like ‘normal’ sloughing the plant goes through after any trauma.

The staurogyne much slower growing, more compact plant that seems to ‘repair’ itself in rather more disconcerting ways then its Hygrophila relatives’.

7. Philosophos

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You'd think so, but the staurogyne has been in for 2 months now and some of the new growth loses a chunk now and then while it's still a shoot off the main runner.

-Philosophos

8. DaBub

DaBub Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Still sounds like it is trying to repair itself

They are slow growing, it seems wierd

Good luck

I am interested

9. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Any photos of the "bite marks"? Are they consistent in shape and size?

You can always try a webcam. Most have software to detect motion and this can be adjusted somewhat. Worst case just aim it at a a spot with no bites missing and see if you can tell what's been hanging out near it. Maybe you'll catch the culprit, assuming it's getting eaten that is. It's a bit techy for something like this but if you already happen to have the stuff it might be an option.

-
    S

10. Philosophos

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The missing chunks are disappearing with time and increased feeding. To be honest, I think I'm going to sit back and do some reading/observation on this species of plant for a while. Staurogyne has some rather unique quirks. The rest of the tank is stable now and growing some nice plants, so I've got a good setting to play with it in.

-Philosophos

11. DaBub

DaBub Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Staurogyne is strange and slower than most plants we use.

Somewhere I heard or read there is a difference between the Tropica Staurogyne and other natural? Staurogyne.

12. Philosophos

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    There's a few kinds of staurogyne out there; 4 or 5 last I checked. I have the low grow.

I'm actually finding that under the right conditions, it grows at a decent speed. High CO2 with mid level current and under the shade of some crypts in a 2.5wpg CF tank seems to be giving faster, healthier growth than under full light, high current and high CO2.

-Philosophos