This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Equilibrium solubility

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by yevgenb, Jun 23, 2009.

1. yevgenb

yevgenb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:40 AM
    Hi there,

I have recently decided to try EI for my 10 gal tank but having problem dissolving macros solution - according to Tom's recipe I mixed 15g kno3, 2.5g KH2PO4 and 6.2 g equilibrium. As result I've got some milky looking solution with some sediments in the mix. Is it how it suppose to look?

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Welcome to the forum.

Check out the analysis on equilibrium here

They list calcium sulphate - CaSO4 as an ingredient. This compound has poor solubility. Shake the bottle before dosing, and try dry dosing in the future. Gently heating the CaSO4 in DI before adding the other compounds may work as well.

-Philosophos

3. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi,

Dosing dry will worsen the things with CaSO4, it will precipitate and form a piece of "rock" :rolleyes: and you won't avoid a milky aspect in your aquarium

Just put it in a kind of strainer and dilue it slowly pressing with your finger in a recipient, shake well. A milky aspect is normal and will disappear, than add the solution to the tank. Solubility is very low, so use 2-4L recipient at least or heat water before mixing, but I find it energy wasting. That's how I do. A workaround would be using CaCL2

4. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes, as jonny says, pre-mix. Do it for anything that's dry dosed. You could also try moving away from equilibrium and creating your own mix; it allows for more control over the variables in your aquarium. I find it helps compensating for tap water parameters when you're not forced to dose a fixed ratio.

-Philosophos