This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Enough light?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by scoupland, Jul 18, 2013.

1. scoupland

scoupland Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:30 AM
    My planted tank is 48"L x 24"D. I have 2, 48" TrueLumen Pro LED 8000K lights on the tank. They are 17" from the soil surface. I started the tank with the DSM and the plants grew very well. The Stauro, in particular, grew like crazy and I even sold a bunch of it. Once I submersed the tank, I have notice about the bottom quarter of many of the plants do not do well; that is, the leaves die. The top 3/4 of the plants look healthy and are growing well even though I don't see any pearling. Another thing I noticed is that the Stauro grew flat on the soil when the tank was DSM. Now that it is submerged, the Stauro is growing tall. I am running my lights for 7 hours/day at full strength. I am running CO2, auto E.I. dosing, temp is 77, pH is 6.7. Am I not getting enough depth penetration with these lights? Should I just run my lights longer? What if I add a third 48" TrueLumen light strip? Or, maybe I should go with different brand of light. I have some ATI T5s but I want to stick with LEDs because of the heat issue in this room.

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:30 AM
    You should have plenty of light now, based on PAR data I have seen for 36 inch TrueLumen LED lights. How are you setting your CO2 bubble rate? I think you have enough light that you need to keep the bubble rate as high as you can without harming the fish.