This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Emmersed plant in HOB filter

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by ShadowMac, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:26 AM
    I have been growing a peace lily out of a HOB filter at the end of a 29 gallon tank. The lilly is doing well and looks pretty cool growing out of the top, in a way disguising what I would consider to be an ugly piece of hardware.

The reason I am using the HOB is mainly for flow, but the added filtration is nice considering the canister on the aquarium is rated at the most for a 30 and I consider those ratings to be far below the mark.

I have two questions. I recently lowered the T5 lighting dramitically since I have added CO2 to the tank and I think many substrate level plants were struggling with such low light. It was suspended more than 12" above the tank. Taller plants did better. So since the light is not over the lilly will it struggle in a dimly lit room? The sun hits it pretty well in the evening as it sets.

Second question, I would like to find a plant to add in with the lilly that would creep around probably growing out of the well with water and covering a good amount of the HOB. Is this possible? Any suggestions? I have considered pennywort, hydrocotyle sp., and even creeping jenny.

Good idea; bad idea?

Just to describe further. I also have bamboo growing out of the tank on the left side which I hope to have grow up and over the T5 fixture as well. I have considered adding purple bamboo to do the same so that the back portion will have a good amount of tall plants growing out the back and over the light.

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I Grew Up In The Swamps

Hi Shawn,

I promised not to answer anymore, but I cannot stand it! :D

Yes it is a very good idea… In fact this may be the best use for an HOB outside quarantine tanks.:gw

What you have is the beginnings of a “vegetative filter.” Think swamp! The quality calls ‘em Bogs! The intelligentsia likes to calls ‘em “wetlands,” well of course they’re wet, they gots water in them, dag-nabbit!:gw

Especially for them folks what has lights raised up off the surface, it is a wonderful opportunity throw off the shackles of canister filters and break up the “box” look of most tanks. Introduce a small waterfall or river inlet, even a place for transitional and/or marginal plants.:rolleyes:

Properly designed an opportunity to add compatible amphibians or swamp critters. A protected place to grow yummy treats for your fish even set to “sweep” a certain amount into the main waters of the tank.

This could be the beginning of something extraordinary!:cool:

Biollante

#2 Biollante, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
  3. ArnieArnie

ArnieArnie Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I was so thinking about something similar. I just received my Eheim Liberty HOB filter. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot of room in it to fit like a basket with gravel and immersed plants. I would like it to be overgrown with HC. But now I'm thinking of putting in some lucky bamboo behind the filter part.

4. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Arnie,

i do not have the lilly in any sort of basket, just the roots free within the back of the filter where the water flows prior to leaving the filter back to the tank.

Biollante,

answer all you like, it is always nice to hear from you ;) Now you have my head whirling thinking of all the possibilties. would a hydorcotyle sp. be a good choice to have climbing around inside the well with the lilly? I may look into purchasing a tall lamp to put above the HOB to support a number of plants growing from it. I have a number of plants in a DSM style seedling greenhouse I could transition if they will survive the decreased humidity. Pogostemon stellatus? hygrophila difformis? This will be the coolest HOB.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
  6. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    been there done that, huh Tom.

What plant is in there? That is like what I was thinking growing around and under the peace lilly.