Emersed Plants Turning Brown/yellow. Hi

tanan

Junior Poster
May 11, 2009
Karachi, Pakistan
I started this tank to convert my submerged plants to emersed for safekeeping and maybe some use in a terrarium setup.

They had been growing good but recently the edges of some plants started turning yellow/brown. Then they die off. What could be the culprit?

Specs.

40" x 15" x 15"

Lights: diy 2525 smd 0.5w each with total of about 75w. 24" long. On for 12 to 16hrs

RO water. Also ro water misted twice a day.

Substrate is peat moss with Ada aquasoil.

Plants have been there for a month. All grown from submerged cuttings.
d6ad6b1b6c1e0a584c9112903f3472a4.jpg
53d1135ec4dc00d08eb352538470f8cf.jpg
75c51ba7613e1935556b5f1e4c0495ef.jpg

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Tim Harrison

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
UK
Always difficult to tell with limited info and if the pics aren't that sharp, but usually it's a sign of low humidity.

tanan

Junior Poster
May 11, 2009
Karachi, Pakistan
Always difficult to tell with limited info and if the pics aren't that sharp, but usually it's a sign of low humidity.
I will try for better pictures. I was thinking humidity too. I have placed an acrylic sheet on top to seal but the heat of light has done some bending so it has small vents at side. Should I spray more or go for an automatic mister/fogger?

Tim Harrison

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
UK
I wouldn't spray any more you might risk mould. Once a day should be sufficient if the tank is sealed.
Cling film works well to seal as well. I'd just follow the DSM, that should keep the plants growing and healthy.

The methodology is usually as follows...

Keep the tank sealed, but let fresh air in for 5 minutes every day to replace the old stagnant air, this may help prevent mould.
Spray and mist the plants, at the same time as above, the draft from the sprayer should help expel the old air and circulate in fresh air.
Reseal, and repeat on a daily basis.

You could also use a weak folia feed in the sprayer. The plants will obviously benefit, but if it's too strong it'll burn the leaves. I've used 3 mls of TNC Complete per litre of water in the past and that worked well.

tanan

Junior Poster
May 11, 2009
Karachi, Pakistan
Ok.
So I have kept a lot of emersed tanks over the years. My last one was going for 2 years with almost 1/3rd of tank just loosely covered with a plastic sheet.
Mould never happens if the light is strong enough.
This is the first time I'm noticing burnt edges that slowly kills the plants. To check out if it's humidity or not. I borrowed some emersed grown in open air pogo erectus from a friend. They have slowly started to turn brown/burn from the lower stems too. They had grown out emersed of a shallow pond they were planted in.