This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Emersed Plant grow - jelly problem!!

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by kire.laz, Jul 6, 2009.

1. kire.laz

kire.laz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:46 AM
    Hi to everyone,
    I'm growing HC emmersed, but yesterday in one of the pots I saw some kind of jelly balls (exactly same as snail eggs) There is no contact with snails, so those are not snail eggs + the appear sudendly (HC is in there about 3 weeks) I replant the HC, but today I saw the same thing in the other pot!!! I think is some kind of fungy, but I'm not sure what kind - it around HC's leafs (mostly) but I notice some of it on the bare sand!!
    What's that and how can I treat that without loosing HC???

Thanks to all

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Pictures would help a lot.

Flooding the HC for an hour in a stronger solution of excel would help, that or spot treat and rinse within 5 minutes.

It may be an issue with humidity being too high/low. Many mold and bacteria problems are this way.

What's your substrate?

-Philosophos

3. kire.laz

kire.laz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thank you for your reply,
    the substrate is clay + garden soil (as base substrate) and river sand above it (to keep everything clean) I'm making everything as usual - I open the cover every 3-4 days and I spray water above HC to refresh it and give it some water! I remove all of "the thing " manually so I can't post picture

Can you give me some advice on growing HC faster- it's growing too slow?? What type of soil should I use??

Thank you for all answers

4. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    For emerged growth I wasn't picky at all. I've used nothing but miracle gro potting soil, and I keep it very damp with used tank water.

Adaptation takes time; usually around a month to start turning around well.

You might be having nutrient issues with that layer of sand on top; HC has some very small, fine roots.

-Philosophos