Emersed L. Aromatica (but not the way you'd expect)

argnom

Guru Class Expert
May 24, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I did not even know that it was an edible plant! I always thought that it smelled nice when trimming and I was tempted to try it, but I did not know that they were edible. It seems it's impossible to login to this forum without learning something new.

Thanks for the info Dan!

Cheers!

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Just more interesting you guys may like: The bag trick is a good method and way to store plants (I am currently doing this with Fissidens sp.), and is actually how well-known Tonina/Erio fan Coralite flowers Syngonanthus sp: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...imple-way-flower-syngonanthus.html#post532986

But the coolest thing about L. aromatica is, imo, the cool serrated leaves and change in form once it goes emergent. You'll find Plantfinder mentions the herb thing. Just a cool plant.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Tasty They Is

Hi,

We use Limnophila aromatic, emerged form for cooking, bags; plastic bottles are what we use mainly because it is very dry here.

The submerged form does not have the complete flavor the leaves are very different.

Biollante

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
You Know How Chicken Tastes, Well It Tastes Better With Ngo Om!

dbazuin;51558 said:
How does it taste?

Hi,

Rice patty herb (Limnophila aromatic) is spicy citrus-y, sort of; :D I do not think the immersed version works very well. :p

Dutchy, I thought this a popular herb in the Netherlands. :)

Biollante

LoudCreature

Prolific Poster
Oct 17, 2009
Biollante;51562 said:
Hi,

Rice patty herb (Limnophila aromatic) is spicy citrus-y, sort of; :D I do not think the immersed version works very well. :p

Think cumin---

spicy citrus-y, :p i don't know, tasty, yes. ;)

LC

argnom

Guru Class Expert
May 24, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I'm definitively going to try and grow this immersed. In your opinions, would it be possible to do the clear plastic bag trick with cuttings taken from a submersed plant or is it better to let it grow out of the tank and then take a immerse cutting? A little dip in Stimroot may also help?

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
We Of More Refined Tastes---Sniff’

LoudCreature;51565 said:
Think cumin---

spicy citrus-y, :p i don't know, tasty, yes. ;)

LC

Hi,

Cumin, indeed, some of us simply have more discerning, more sophisticated and refined tastes. :cool:

Just a little reminder to people that wish to eat what they grow, make sure what goes into the tasty little morsel is fit for human consumption. I am licensed and while some of the rules may be petty, they serve a good purpose. :gw One of the reasons I like raising my food is that I know what goes in.

Biollante

LoudCreature

Prolific Poster
Oct 17, 2009
O Please, I Am Gagging

Biollante;51583 said:
Cumin, indeed, some of us simply have more discerning, more sophisticated and refined tastes. :cool:

Biollante

I have to admit I replace cumin with Ngo Om, okay it does have bright lemon sort of spicy flavor, :pbut more sophisticated and refined tastes, gag me with a spoon, O please!:rolleyes:

We use containers covered with heavy plastic sheets, Ngo Om in hot and bright areas.

LC

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
It's A Wet Heat...

Hi,

L. Aromatica is easy to transition from immersed to emerged or round the other way. The emerged version requires high humidity and likes heat.

I like two-liter plastic soda bottles for the purpose. However, plastic bags over various containers work well. :) I have a bunch of stuff growing in resalable bags.

I top cut six inches (15 cm) off a stem and cut on the bias into three segments is a nice amount for a two-liter bottle. Technically, I think any section with at least three healthy leaves ought to grow.

Since L. Aromatica is an herb, I suppose root hormone approved for plants intended for human consumption should work, I have not used it for L. Aromatica.

I plant the stems in enriched soil, violet potting soil, worm poop, Miracle grow whatever is handy, I think it is nice to cover the substrate with gravel. Aquarium water from an established planted tank, either to the top of the substrate or to just covering the plants.

Place the containers in a bright warm area. These plants like heat, they like light, they grow like crazy, nice flowers as well. :cool:

Biollante

chad320

Prolific Poster
Jun 1, 2010
Illinois
Thanks for the info guys. Im an herb grower and an aquatic plant nerd so im going to try this tomorrow. Best idea for the combination of those 2 skills since medical marijuana(just kidding).

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Hmm cumin and citrus. I'll bet this stuff would complement shiso quite nicely.

ghostsword

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
I reuse the cuttings of my L. Aromatica to make tea. After a wash of cold water, I just boil the leaves for 5 minutes, leave it to cool a bit and add honey. I have had it chilled.

Will try to grow it emmersed, on plastic bags. It should grow on a hermetically sealed container, right? Like the ones from Ikea.
glass%20jars.jpg

LoudCreature

Prolific Poster
Oct 17, 2009
I am going to try the tea!

I am not sure about the hermetically sealed part, you need to allow some air movement while keeping high humidity.

LC