Emersed HC planting root length

PJtree23

Junior Poster
Mar 16, 2009
I am going to attempt the emersed method of growing and HC carpet in my 29 gal. I bought the HC from my lfs and it came potted in that cotton stuff. I pulled it off and tore off chunks of the HC for planting. Was that a mistake?

Will the plants die, because the roots are only 6mm long at planting??

Pale Rider

Junior Poster
Dec 28, 2008
At worst it will take them a little longer to get going good as they mature their root system. I left it on mine, the little sprigs and leaflets that fell about my tank while I was doing the main planting all rooted on their own and started growing pretty well.

Chris

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
HC rebounds so well when emersed that it's sold as ground cover for gardens in California. While tugging and tearing the roots might not help, it's less of an issue than with immersed cultures. As soon as HC goes underwater, rock wool makes things easier because of the increased density.

I would be curious as to whether HC is commonly found immersed, or if this is an adaptation discovered by the hobby. Does anyone have info on this?

-Philosophos

PJtree23

Junior Poster
Mar 16, 2009
status

week 1
Picture004.jpg

week 2
Feb2009005.jpg

whats going on with my HC?
also, does microsword grow immersed?

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
How about a full list of specs for ferts, substrate, and light? More importantly, temperature and humidity comes to mind. You might be able to get by with wet nutrient filled substrate, but without a hood at room temperature things aren't looking so great.

For future reference, stone wool rooted mesh pots cost more because of involving both of these materials. If you don't want the stone wool, buy it by the bag full; it's far cheaper. Also, try distributing it more evenly; planting it in little clumps makes it so that each plant has to compete with another beside it long before it needs to. Of course, this is easier said than done with such a delicate plant.

-Philosophos

PJtree23

Junior Poster
Mar 16, 2009
Lights:
65w (6700k) CF 10 hours a day.

Substrate:
1 9L bag ADA Amazonia I
1 9L bag ADA Amazonia I Powder

Layered, in that order, about 1" each.

No top, but I spray daily and pour water into the soil to keep it damp. Room temp ~70 deg f. I am guessing average to low humidity.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Put a lid on it. The light on top combined with the lid will allow for more heat and humidity. the HC will benefit from both.

-Philosophos

PJtree23

Junior Poster
Mar 16, 2009
On another note, would you recommend getting another 65w 6700k light for the HC? I have a dual fixture but the other light is Actinic and of no use.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Just change the bulbs out; you don't need a new ballast for a different spectrum of bulb.

65w more with CF would land you with about 4.5wpg... excessive in my opinion. Unless you're leaving a hood on the tank, adding tannins, or some how interfering with the light in some other way, you'll be doing a good bit more work under much more rapidly changing conditions. Some people enjoy that, but it is challenging. My 20g runs without a hood and 65w of CF 6500k/10000k sunpaq bulb, and the HC is looking pretty good; it grows low.

For now, your plants aren't in water, so the light isn't diffused so heavily as it would be in water. I'd imagine more light now wouldn't serve much of a purpose; stick it in the window if it is, there's not much to fear from algae when there's no water. If you're having trouble keeping the HC from getting stringy in the future once the tank is filled, another strip more in the 15-30w range might help. You can use this one to play with aesthetics if you like, since you'll have an open range of choices between CF, T-8 and T-5.

-Philosophos

PJtree23

Junior Poster
Mar 16, 2009
I bought 3 2x2 patches of HC from swap/shop on theplantedtank.net. I damped the soil, and placed a Tupperware of water into the tank and sealed the top with Saran wrap. The tank is now opaque with condensation and humidity has greatly increased.

I will keep it like this until the HC arrives.