Emersed Crypt Tank (Mother's Day Gift)

travis

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2006
OK, I've been keeping Crypts in my tank for some time now and every time my mother visits she exclaims about how beautiful they are. She keeps orchids in her conservatory and I think I've got her convinced to give emersed-growth Crypts a shot, in fact I'm going to send her some shoots for Mother's Day. I would love her to see those incredible inflorescences. I have a multitude of species to get her started and I want to get her going with a good emersed-growth tank the right way.

First: What sort of substrate would be best? I suggested a base of peat with standard potting soil on top.

Second: What sort of water levels in the terrarium/paludarium would be best for Crypts. Should they be misted daily, etc.?

Third: What is the best way to encourage spathe formation in Crypts in an emersed environment?

Fourth: My mother's thumb is green down to the bottom knuckle but she knows nothing of aquatic plants. Any tips I should pass along?

Thanks again for the great forum guys :)

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States
Re: Emersed Crypt Tank (Mother's Day Gift)

travis said:
OK, I've been keeping Crypts in my tank for some time now and every time my mother visits she exclaims about how beautiful they are. She keeps orchids in her conservatory and I think I've got her convinced to give emersed-growth Crypts a shot, in fact I'm going to send her some shoots for Mother's Day. I would love her to see those incredible inflorescences. I have a multitude of species to get her started and I want to get her going with a good emersed-growth tank the right way.

First: What sort of substrate would be best? I suggested a base of peat with standard potting soil on top.

Second: What sort of water levels in the terrarium/paludarium would be best for Crypts. Should they be misted daily, etc.?

Third: What is the best way to encourage spathe formation in Crypts in an emersed environment?

Fourth: My mother's thumb is green down to the bottom knuckle but she knows nothing of aquatic plants. Any tips I should pass along?

Thanks again for the great forum guys :)

Here's what the Crypt Pages recommend for emersed growth:

Soil
Washed sand mixed with peat litter (50/50% volume) is an excellent medium to cultivate Crypts. Most species will grow in it. For there is any nutriment in it, you can add some clay and/or you have to spray your plants every week with a normal indoor plant fertilizer.
You can use forest soil from the beech tree (Fagus sp.) to replace the peat litter or to mix it with. You can even use pure beech tree soil for species from Borneo which are diificult to grow, mixed , if any, with some clay powder. Be aware that beech tree soil is extremely acid. The pH in your tanks can go below 4, dissolving metals and even some plastics.
Good results are made with meranti chips instead of peat litter. Pure clay proves to be difficult.

You can read a little more here: http://132.229.93.11/Cryptocoryne/Howto/howto.html

Greg