This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Emergency: Need Ammonia Dosing Help

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Fisherking, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    7:50 AM
    OK. I cycled my planted 12 gallon via fishless cycle, did a complete water change, and was ready for two live shipments.

The 10 Nerites made it and are in the tank with an algae wafer in case there's not enough to clean yet.

The Betta was DOA. Now I only have the snails for livestock in there and wonder if it is safe to dose a small amount of the Ace hardware ammonia I used to cycle the tank. I'm considering this because I'm worried the snails won't provide enough ammonia to keep the biological filter population high enough for when I do get a live Betta about 2 weeks from now.

BUT: is that safe for the snails??? I'm thinking to dose it up to 0.5 or 1.0 ppm ammonia. Insights, please?!

Thanks ahead of time!

2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:50 AM
    I wouldn't dose the ammonia.
    When phish and other critters release waste it is in small increments not one large dose.

Just my thoughts on it.

Lilyann likes this.
  3. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    7:50 AM
    What you say makes sense, Phishless. Now I have an idea: I'm going to remove the bag of ceramic media from this 12 gal to the 75 gallon which I'm currently cycling (also fishless with ammonia) so that that part of the filter stays "fed" until the fish comes.

I'll leave the existing sponge in the 12 gallon filter to serve the snails and keep a close watch on whatever ammonia they put out. Which actually might be an interesting study in itself.

When the fish arrives, I'll put the mature ceramic media back in the 12 gallon and soldier on.

#3 Fisherking, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Phishless likes this.