This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Eleocharis Vivipara

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Severumkid, May 22, 2009.

1. Severumkid

Severumkid Junior Poster

Local Time:
    7:07 PM
    Guys,

Kindly share the secrets of growing this plant, seems much more difficult than parvula. :mad:

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Can't say I've kept it, and I'm not an expert with Eleocharis spp. but if you post the symptoms it might help us all figure out what's going on.

-Philosophos

3. Severumkid

Severumkid Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Mine is a high Co2 environment with 72 watt light on 15 G tank with ADA AS ii. But the Vivipara are planted in gravel and not on ADA soil. I think they came to me grown emersed, had lots of plant lets on their tips....2nd week after planting, I see that they are turning brown. Why? I have HC Cuba in the same tank and it is thriving. :confused:

4. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Could you post your parameters and dosing method? How is it turning brown? Uniformly brown while maintaining structure? Is the whole thing melting? If it's a uniform melt all at once with good parameters, it's probably the adaptation.

-Philosophos

5. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have no experience with this plant. However, with emmersed grown plants they will need a period for their new immersed foliage to grow in. Sometimes they grow in and the old leaves hang around a while. Sometimes the whole plant just seems to sulk and the old foliage sloughs off. Depends on the plant. I've have a sword that did both going immersed -> emmersed -> immersed again.

-
    S

6. Severumkid

Severumkid Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Its getting brown through out the stem, not melting suddenly. After it gets brown then slowly it becomes soft and gives way from the bottom. It is not in all the plants, many are green while quite a few have melted and the plant lets are floating loose. I think I am seeing new shoots coming out, but I am not sure that it is Vivipara or Parvula as of now.

Hope I was able to explain it properly.

7. Severumkid

Severumkid Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Dosing is Excel and dry ferts often but no specific routine...may be 3-4 times in a fortnight.