This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Eleocharis species, question

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jonny_ftm, Aug 7, 2009.

1. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    9:48 AM
    Hi,

My nano (link in signature) is growing emersed E. Tenellus. I find it too invasive with its runners and fast decaying leaves. Furthermore, it looks too short as a background for my setup.

I hesitate between Eleocharis species or Blyxa. Lilaeopsis brasiliensis looks too short for my setup

Basically, I'm looking for a plant less invasive than tenellus and especially with leaves lasting as long as crypts and swords. I don't like to deal with too frequent trimming and removing endless decaying leaves like with stems.

I heard Blyxa is an annual plant, so will the Eleocharis fullfill my needs?

Great thanks for your help

2. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    If annual plants means they will die after flowering.
    I bought mine (not sure if they're Japonica or Echinosperma)
    while they were flowering. Still doing fine, 4-5 months now.

3. jonny_ftm

Local Time:
    I ended up removing the Tenellus and replacing with Eleocharis. Better now than once immersed

4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Annual plant I think generally refers "seed to seed" usually a growing season.

I don't think Blyxa is an annual, since they can be propagated via cuttings.

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis would be half the height of Blyxa Echinosperma

Eleocharis acicularis is I think the choice you want; I don’t believe eleocharis parvula will get much taller than Lilaeopsis brasiliensis. The other Eleocharis', I am familiar with grow much taller.

Eleocharis will certainly be easier to grow than Blyxa Echinosperma. If you can get it and don’t mind a bit of a challenge, Blyxa japonica is an interesting plant (I have no direct experience with B japonica).

If you go with Blyxa, I would recommend dense planting.

Depending on the look you’re going for a little Monosolenium tenerum attached to rock interspersed with either eleocharis parvula or Eleocharis acicularis makes for a nice look.

When it comes to matters of artistic interpretations, I am likely the last entity you should trust.:mad:

Biollante

5. jonny_ftm

Local Time:
    I got my self 2 pots of Eleocharis acicularis that I'll put in soil tomorrow

The tenellus was incredibly spread, runners across the tank length, that is up to 30-40cm long. This dry start is really growing like crazy