This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Eleocharis acicularis: incredible way to grow it

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jonny_ftm, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    11:40 PM
    Hi,

While siphoning my 12 gal, some Eleocharis acicularis got sucked with water. I use my EI tank water to baste my flowers on the balcony.
    I live in Switzerland, in this was by June.

Some of the Eleocharis ended up on the soil of my flowers, outside.

The root grew in the soil and the small stems survived a few weeks stuck to the moist soil.

Later, new leaves emerged and gave a nice high and firm plant.

They survived outside in 28-33°C summer temperature and in direct sun light. Ambient hydrometry is around 45-55% most of the time. I went on holidays for 2 weeks, in hottest days of August. It survived without water, on a very dry soil without even showing a sign of suffering while my balcony plants were dying from the lack of water.

This is just an incredible plant. And this is a so easy way to grow it for your stocking.

[​IMG]

2. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Heck, I've some of them in a pot at the balcony. They have survived a flood,
    Thai summer (40c) and now they are flowering!
    Isn't grass the first picture we get when we think about weed?
    Real weed.

#2 nipat, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
  3. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi, here they are, just shot this morning, still flowering.:)
    (Hairgrass Belem)

[​IMG]

4. jonny_ftm

Local Time:
    I know that this plant grows well in your regions. The mosses I see in above picture also show a high humidity region. Here, I talk about 45-50% humidity most of the time. 55% is rare

5. jonny_ftm

Local Time:
    Well, and this other extreme, any other experience :gw ?

[​IMG]

Snow melted 10 days ago, it was burried under about 1 meter (3.3 ft) snow...
    Temps till now in winter got spikes of -6°C (21.2°F) and since many weeks between -2°C to +5°C (28.4°F to 41°F).

The question is: Will it survive the winter? Will it stay green?

I'll try to protect the pot to avoid soil (and roots) to freeze though, like with any plant on a balcony

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    E belem also does well, but looks very different, more like these grasses vs the submersed condition.
    Small containers in the window sill is a good method to maintain species if you want to keep them around for use later, but do not want to add them to the tank at the present time.

Or better yet, get enough people involved locally in the hobby to support a large enough biomass/farm production to keep everyone in the group happy!

7. jonny_ftm

Local Time:
    I'm really surprised about this plant adaptation possibilities what ever the climate is
    Let's see if it also "replicate" either by flower or rhizomes in my conditions

Thanks for the feedback and will keep you informed

8. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    That's pretty cool. If I had space, I would do the same thing in a yard or something.

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    These species grow year around in Lake Tahoe, which is colder than most of Europe for much of the year, but they are submersed, but we find them next to alpine lakes etc.
    While many think CA, USA is sunny and hot, and much of it is.........the mountains have some of the most bitter cold and harsh wind(180km at the ridge crest) and 20 meter snowfall, well......last year, this year we have almost next to no snow.

The native species with the highest diversity of aquatic plants are in the mountains here, not where it is warmer.

I've found Isoetes at 3000 meter lakes and many lakes have hairgrass at 2000-3500 meters here. We also have Hipperus growing in many lakes.
    Sago pondweed is all over as well as are about a dozen pondweed species.

10. jonny_ftm

Local Time:
    @Tom

Incredible,

Didn't know all of that about hairgrass plants. Many thanks for those info :)

I just was so surprised to see how this plant did by case from my tank to my balcony. I understand better how we can spread by inadvertence so many plants that can potentiall invade local autochthonous ones

11. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I'd try some local plants and see, but do not take the hobby plants and transplant out side obviously!

Most of these plants can be grown and kept in window sills with a top lid/cover.

Small terrarium basically.

12. jonny_ftm

Local Time:
    Thanks for advice. I'll first see if it flowers, so basically risk to spread the seeds
    Otherwise, only local rhizome spreading will occur

Will let you know