EI questions for 55g

punky

Junior Poster
Feb 24, 2007
Hi, I'd like to start dosing using EI method in my 55g but I'd like to dissolved the chemicals in water before dosing (i.e no dry dosing). I just read the article regarding EI and know the amount of chemicals but in how much ml of water should I dissolve them? Also how much ml should I then dose daily? I have no problems regarding the chelated mix.

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
San Diego, Ca
The simple method is to dry measure each day's dosing and premix with water just before adding. Just dip a cup into the tank to get some water, mix in your powders, and pour it back in.

Otherwise, there have been a few threads around for getting a specific mL of dissolved ferts will get you 1ppm of nutrient x per 10 gallons of water, etc.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You can take a week's worth of EI chemicals, mix them in separate bottles etc.

Add like 500mls of water with 1.5 teaspoons of KNO3 for example(3x 1/2 teaspoon for a week).

Add 500mls/3 three times a week. Or 167mls 3x a week.

Same type of thing for KH2PO4 and GH if you want/need.

Regards,
Tom Barr

punky

Junior Poster
Feb 24, 2007
Tom Barr;14961 said:
You can take a week's worth of EI chemicals, mix them in separate bottles etc.

Add like 500mls of water with 1.5 teaspoons of KNO3 for example(3x 1/2 teaspoon for a week).

Add 500mls/3 three times a week. Or 167mls 3x a week.

Same type of thing for KH2PO4 and GH if you want/need.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Ok let me see if I got you right. I mix 500ml per chemical (for a week) and then dose 1/3 of the amount according to the schedule. Is that correct? I do not need GH since my water has already got more than enough.

Thanks.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You got it.
Careful about assuming there's plenty of GH. It maybe all Ca and no Mg.
Or the reverse, although that is rare. So add a bit of MgSO4(epsom salt), maybe 1/4 teaspoon once a week just in case.

Regards,
Tom Barr

punky

Junior Poster
Feb 24, 2007
In fact yes it is calcium most. I add epsom salt.

Thanks for the replies.