EI optimizing for Toninas

Dr.Tran

Junior Poster
Mar 31, 2008
I appoligize if I put this in the wrong section.

Heres my stats

130 watts over 29 gallon tank PC bulbs
2-3kh 7-8 gh
Pressurized co2 with the drop checker showing yellow
Standard EI dosing along with adding K through Nusalt at 1/2 a teaspoon after a water change
100% flourite

I have been trying to grow toninas for a while and lately I have been having success. Its finally growing and I started to wounder at my wattage if I was limiting K. So I added some and noticed my leaves got thicker and did look more heathier. I don't think I had any K deficenices, it was just my limiting factor.

But I remember Tom Barr mentioning that toninas are like weeds to him and it grows 3 inches in a week. I barely get an inch in 2 weeks. So what gives? Can you guys please point me in the right direction.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Not sure, but I use ADA AS also.
I used flourite in the past with T fluv and got about 4" a week, but under more light than you have.

Still, 1-2" a week is fine. Depends on which species on Tonia also, the belem grows fast but not like you think.

Rate of growth is not everything, nice thick healthy growth is what you want unless you are a farmer. Adding Gh booster might help, doing more water changes and dosing right after also.

Amano really does not do anything that different, just leaner dosing, but his Tap has a lot of PO4 in it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Dr.Tran

Junior Poster
Mar 31, 2008
Thanks for ur response tom.

Your right I need a thick healthy growth but sometimes it seems like it doesn't even grow at all. The problem is that it grew pretty bad for a while, bad dosing, co2 and missing ca and mg. I am dosing them by CaCl2 and epstom salts. Which gh booster should I get?

It gets fustrating because my toninas don't look good yet. Most have small crowns and some brown leaves.

I also have alot of PO4 in my tap. I have 2 ppm starting. I'm not sure if I should go lean on the PO4 in EI.