janboyz

Jul 6, 2017
Singapore
Hi All

Just started on EI after reading all the good stuff.

60x30x36cm tank with CO2 and 1/2 filled with buces.

I travel 1week to 10days at a go and so was initially looking at a weekly low light dose.

Initially plagued with GSA and looking at EI to solve

PH 6.4-5.5 during 7hr photoperiod
KNO3 5%solution 20ml ( legally available )
PotassiumPhosphate 0.11g
PotassiumSulphate 1.4g
MgSulphate 3g

Day1 20ml KNO3 bottomed out in 24hr
Day 2 20ml KNO3 bottomed out again in 24hrs
Day 3 just added another 20ml KNO3

Is this normal? Should I continue to daily dose?

Any tips appreciated

J
aa75fa9081ef88801b11a3fe9dacd5ec.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

Dkoi

Jul 1, 2017
B.C. Canada
Hi,
If you're going to follow the EI dosing it's everyday alternating macros and micros, followed by a 50% water change at the end of the week. That resets parameters & you repeat. It takes a bit of tweaking, but it is very beneficial in the long run . More info needed about your parameters and your lighting. You need to strike a balance between c02, lighting & ferts. I'm sure lots of people here will give you some good advice . Nice looking set-up too!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

rajkm

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Sep 16, 2015
Hillsboro, OR
First you need to find how many ppm is that dose. You don't have many fast growers to bottom out if you are dosing enough.

janboyz

Jul 6, 2017
Singapore
Thanks for the quick reply. Left out crucial info

KNO3 5%solution: 10ppm
KH2PO4: 1ppm
K2SO4: 10ppm
MgSO4: 3ppm

The above was planned for a weekly dose

Lights: Chihiros Aquasky601: 70%

@Dkoi: thanks for the compliment, to alternate between micros and macros won't be possible, looks like I need to get a doser.

I don't have test kits for the other nutrients as I was overly excited and jumped straight in.

Reactions: Dkoi

janboyz

Jul 6, 2017
Singapore
First you need to find how many ppm is that dose. You don't have many fast growers to bottom out if you are dosing enough.
I seriously suspect that buces are nutrient suckers.

Buces seems happy with 30% pearling, haven't seen this before.

Considering to lower lights and CO2 by a notch

J

Dkoi

Jul 1, 2017
B.C. Canada
Thanks for the quick reply. Left out crucial info

KNO3 5%solution: 10ppm
KH2PO4: 1ppm
K2SO4: 10ppm
MgSO4: 3ppm

The above was planned for a weekly dose

Lights: Chihiros Aquasky601: 70%

@Dkoi: thanks for the compliment, to alternate between micros and macros won't be possible, looks like I need to get a doser.

I don't have test kits for the other nutrients as I was overly excited and jumped straight in.

Ya that's the thing with EI dosing. It's an all or nothing kinda plan !
The idea behind it is to estimate the needs of your plants & dose really heavy all week, and by doing a large water change at the end of the week everything is set to zero again. I use Seachem liquid ferts in my tank. Mon, Wed & Fri. I dose 12 ml. of each Macros.On Tues, Thurs & Sat.I dose 5 ml each Micros. On Sunday I do 50% water change. My aquarium holds approximately 30 gallons of water.
MACROS : Nitrogen, Phosphorus & Potassium
MICROS : Seachem Flourish, Iron & Seachem Advance.
It took a while for me to add so much fertilizer, however without my Nitrate level was always too low, resulting in excess algae & slow plant growth. Here's my tank after 6 months.
95508c43318c323e6ae0ba61d436ec32.jpg

janboyz

Jul 6, 2017
Singapore
Nice tank Dkoi

Based on my initial reads, I was hoping for a once a week EI routine but now seems impossible to dose so much nitrates in one go!

Correct me if I am wrong but the theory is to ALWAYS have enough nutrients in the column and not let it bottom out to create imbalance right??

Dkoi

Jul 1, 2017
B.C. Canada
Nice tank Dkoi

Based on my initial reads, I was hoping for a once a week EI routine but now seems impossible to dose so much nitrates in one go!

Correct me if I am wrong but the theory is to ALWAYS have enough nutrients in the column and not let it bottom out to create imbalance right??

Thank you. Yes, the best way to ensure proper levels is to dose everyday. I have got my dosing to the point where I don't have to keep checking N03 , K, P . levels anymore. I know that my Nitrate is consistently @ 25 ppm, and that makes my plants happy. You can get away with weekly dosing, but only in a low tech, no C02 or intense lighting set-up. If you really want to focus on luxurious plant growth, then daily EI dosing is the only sure way.