This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EI Lite and K2SO4

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by spectre, Feb 25, 2009.

1. spectre

spectre Junior Poster

Hello all.
    I am at the point in my planted tank setup where I need to begin planning a dosing routine. I've been reading up on the EI method and think this is the way I want to go.
    My question is as I look over the basic dosing regimes for the different sized tanks I do not see K2SO4 listed, yet I read about a lot of people using it. I assume this is to increase the amount of Potassium without increasing phosphate or nitrate? If this is the case, what amount of K2SO4 would be dosed based on the EI routine for a 60 - 80 gallon setup?

Please correct me if I'm wrong in that assumption and thanks for any help you can give.

This is a great forum and I have learned a lot reading through it.

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Hi,

There is sufficient potassium(? I think) in the KN03 that the K2S04 is not needed. I dose my 180 with just KN03, KH2P04, traces, and a little excel....

I bought it with the other dry ferts, but Tom recommended a while ago that it is not needed and I have since stopped using it.

One less thing to worry about, mix, or dose.

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Some people find that their tap water has high nitrates in it, and they have calibrated the test kit so they can trust its readings. Those people sometimes dose K2SO4 instead of KNO3 to get potassium without adding more nitrate. I think most of us don't use K2SO4 - I don't.

4. spectre

spectre Junior Poster

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will try to cross check my water supply with a couple different test kits and see where I'm at.