This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

EI dosing & the effects of "trickle waterchange" vs 50% weekly change

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by JohnInFlorida, Jul 23, 2007.

1. JohnInFlorida

JohnInFlorida Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:49 PM
    I'm using EI dosing as described in the stickies above for both my 29 and my 55 gallon tanks. I'm in the process of setting up a 180 gallon acrylic tank, and plumbing it for constant waterchange at a rate of 100 gallons/week (i.e. 1 to 2 drops/second). Since in EI dosing the weekly waterchange is to clean out some of the residual ferts and reestablish a baseline, my question is in relation to the level of ferts when you don't have this "reset" but instead have a constant dribble of replacement water. Does the base level increase? decrease? stay the same? and as a result should there be a change in the dosing LEVEL? Thanks.

Keep Smilin'
    John :)

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I use this system with my 45 gallon tank, and it appears to work fine. My calculations showed that if I trickled in around 5 gallons a day I would not get too high on any fert, but I don't remember the exact numbers since that was over a year ago. I have found it to be very difficult to maintain a constant flow rate - in cold weather it goes up and in hot weather it goes down. But, I do keep the daily amount within about 4 to 6 gallons.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    A that rate, likely not much as Vaughn wisely put it.
    It can withstand about 20-30% day.

Regards.,
    Tom Barr