EI dosing and low nitrate

algaehater

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Oct 10, 2013
Hi,

First post here but a long time reader. I was hoping to get some advice for my 29 gallon tank. I have been dosing EI for 2 months now. 3x / week 1/4tsp KNO3, 1/16 tsp KH2PO4, 1/16 tsp KS2O4. 3x /wk plantex. 50% on Sunday with RO water 1/2 tsp GH boost. The standard dosing for 20-40gal. My vitals are:

ph: 6-4 - 6.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
kh: 4
gh: 5
tds: 200
phosphates: 2-5 ppm (was 10+ two weeks ago)

med/high light for 8 hours and pressurized CO2.

As you can see my issue is that I have 0 nitrate. I have been concerned that I can't seem to retain any nitrate in my tank. I also had high phosphate readings (10ppm+) and decided to cut back on KH2P04 which seems to have got the level down significantly this week. Last week just as an experiment I also tried dosing 1/4 tsp KNO3 every day. Testing a few times over the week I was still not seeing much nitrate with my API kit. Today after my water test I thought I should check my test kit. I made some solutions with KNO3 and tested them with my test kit. I was getting positive readings. If I am dosing 1/4 tsp daily and not maintaining nitrate would it be advisable to keep increasing the dose until I am maintaining some level?

I have been battling some hair (perhaps staghorn) algae for the last few weeks. Nothing major, but I am noticing it on the edges of older leaves of hygrophila compacta and my Hygro Angustifolia. I remove the leaves and a couple days later I see new algae growth on the same plants. Is it possible that this algae growth could be from low nitrate or/and my extremely high phosphate I had recently? I understand that it is probably CO2, but my CO2 has been pretty consistent at this level for the past 2-3 weeks along with my light intensity and photo period lowered. I am wondering if my fluctuating nutrients trying to dial in on a correct level could be causing it.

Thanks for any advice.

Christophe

Subscriber
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2013
Albuquerque, NM, USA
The only thing that springs to mind is the API nitrate test kit -- those reagent bottles REALLY have to be thoroughly shaken for at least 30 seconds each before adding them to the test tube. Then the test tube should also be very thoroughly shaken, 30-60 seconds. If you aren't doing this, you will get a false zero. No other ideas...

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It's unlikely the NO3 is zero, it is more likely as suggested above, that the test kit is the issue.

The algae seems to be more suggestive of low CO2, than nutrients.
This is often the case 95% of the time.

Algae, plant growth, fish health etc, better than most test kits, but only comes with experience.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It's unlikely the NO3 is zero, it is more likely as suggested above, that the test kit is the issue.

The algae seems to be more suggestive of low CO2, than nutrients.
This is often the case 95% of the time.

Algae, plant growth, fish health etc, better than most test kits, but only comes with experience.

algaehater

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Oct 10, 2013
I feel like such an idiot. I'm reading the response going there is no way. I shake that thing for a good 10-15 seconds and that is plenty. I went and did as you suggested and shook for about 30 seconds and lo and behold I am now reading about 80ppm after an emergency 50% water change this afternoon to get it down from max level. I really appreciate it. Sorry to waste your time with my noobness. So I am planning on daily 25% water changes for the next few days to try to get it down to a better level. Does this seem like the best course of action for my stupidity of double dosing nitrate last week trying to get a reading on my test kit?

Thanks!

Christophe

Subscriber
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2013
Albuquerque, NM, USA
You're welcome, don't worry about it, I did the same trip myself not very long ago :eek:

Pass on the info, if you read the boards much, you'll get the opportunity soon!