This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ei Dosing And Cloudy Water

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by bodhitj, Nov 21, 2018.

1. bodhitj

bodhitj New Member

Local Time:
    3:48 AM
    Hi! This is my first post on this forum and I'm really glad I found it. This place is great.

I recently started EI dosing on my tank around two weeks ago. Here are the tank's stats:
    1) Rubbermaid 100 gallon tank
    2) Running CO2 at around 6-7bps
    3) Tank is outside and only lit with direct sunlight
    4) Tank is densely planted with many fast growing species and the bottom of the tank is soil, with a sand cap.

The tank has been doing really well. I had an algae outbreak in the beginning of the tank because I was using DIY CO2, which caused insane fluctuations. I switched to pressurized and all the BBA is completely gone, and the annoying staghorn algae is almost eradicated. I used to dose with Thrive+, but it was beginning to get way too expensive so I wanted to switch to EI dry dosing from NilocG instead.

I'm currently dosing:
    3 tsp KNO3 and 1 tsp KH2PO4 on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. On Sunday, I add 1.5 tsp of GH Booster on Sunday
    1 tsp Plantex CSM + B on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday

I do my water change on Saturday. I'm dosing so much because my rotala and wisteria were showing signs of deficiencies. Also, my light source is the strongest available, so I figured more nutrients cannot hurt since the demand must be so high. Now the water is cloudy. It doesn't seem like a bacterial bloom, because in the morning when I dose, the cloudiness is gone. The cloudiness then sets in a few hours AFTER I dose. What is happening here? Is the PO4 reacting with Fe? I do not dose micro and macros on the same day so I do not know what the issue is here.

Another note: Although the rotala rotundifolia stems and wisteria stems are growing insanely fast, the leaves still show signs of deficiencies. Please help me out here.

2344F858-7462-473B-A384-3935B8FAA611.JPG

2. Julia Adkins

Julia Adkins aquariumfertilizer.com
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:48 AM
    To me, the holes in the leaves indicate structural or macronutrient deficiency. I would add potassium sulfate to the mix.

3. bodhitj

bodhitj New Member

Local Time:
    3:48 AM
    Thank you for your advice. How much should I dose and do I dose it with my macros?

Also do you have any idea why the water is cloudy?

4. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    11:48 AM
    I would start at testing ammonia first.
    If ammonia is zero, then I would first start with very large waterchange then I would reduce light and dose to half EI.
    Upping dose gradually over weeks and if everything looks good, then slowly bump light.
    High light and high dosing has caused problems to many.