EI dosing 40g

cazandchris

Feb 16, 2007
Hi Tom
Following on from earlier discussions, I just want to make sure all is well with my dosing plans. I discussed in another thread using this Rexolin APN trace mix and you suggested adding some GH booster. I have since ordered and received some Barr GH Booster.(postage to Sydney far ouotweighed cost but still ahell of a lot cheaper than Equilibrium in the long run)

Rexolin APN
Chelate Trace Element Mix
Rexolin APN mix contains quality chelate forms of trace elements. It also contains Boron and Molybdenum as salts. Rexolin APN has been developed for the hydroponic industry, however it can be used in fertigation mixes for a wide range of crops. It has high solubility and can be used for foliar and soil applications.
Available in quantities from 1 kg to 25 kg's
Elements ratios:
Iron DTPA 6%; Manganese EDTA 2.4%; Boron 1.1%
Zinc EDTA 1.3%; Copper EDTA 0.25;
Molybdenum 0.25%; Cobalt EDTA 0.03% )

Here goes.
I have a 40g corner tank 50cm deep with 2.9w/g of flouro and T5 lighting. Co2 using drop checker at 4dkh is 30ppm. Tank has mainly tetras.ottos, siamensis and is pretty densely planted.
So 3x per week
1/2 teaspoon KNO3
1/8 teaspoon KH2PO4
1/8 teaspoon KS04
8 drops 3x/week ADA ECA iron supplement with NPK ( just to use it up )
1/8 teaspoon RExolin APN (on alternate days)

50-70% water change followed by 1 teaspoon of Barr's GH Booster and 1 teaspoon of baking soda and first course of macros
Should I do GH booster 1/2 tsp 2x a week?

Does this seem about right..Any suggestions would be great...

Also a question re lighting my corner tank. I have two 15w flouro T8's towards the back. Two 24w T5's in the middle and one T5 39w at the very front thus giving pretty good coverage. Being a corner does this equate to 2.9 w/g as it wood over a rectangular 40 g tank. Should I stagger the timing on the front 39w T5 to only 4 hours in the middle of the day?

Thanks
Chris

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'd use less not more light.
It's quite a bit, you do not need that much except for maybe 3-4 hours at full power.
I'd turn them on in a staggered series.

The trace mix: add the dry mix at about 1 tablespoon per 250mls.
Add 8-10mls 3-4x a week. That is about 1/8 teaspoon or so.

But I think having it dissolved well first and in DI water will help.

Regards,
Tom Barr

cazandchris

Feb 16, 2007
Sorry I thought that the whole premise of EI was that it is for high light aquariums..Would i be better off centreing the two T5's and not using the 2x15w lights towards the back corner....Would certainly save me some money as they are nearly due for replacement anyway...
Also thanks for suggestion re Trace mix. Would standard de mineralized water from the hardware store be ok...

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've never said it's(EI) only for high light tanks.
It will handle such tanks, but EI is non limiting for all light levels, that's the point, not just high light.

2w/gal is great, you can back off full EI and do say 2/3 EI just fine.
Adding the fish load, then perhaps 1/2 EI.
Running it richer is not going to cause any issues, NH4, too much light and CO2 are the issues, not the traces/GH/NO3/PO4........

Regards,
Tom Barr

cazandchris

Feb 16, 2007
Do I need to add HCL to the liquid mix of traces to stop it going off? I am also wondering when your new trace mix will be available Tom.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You should not need the HCL etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr