EI and old Kent Plant food

jrneuzil

Mar 13, 2005
Eastern Kentucky
I guess my question is in two parts.
1. Should I add anything else here.
2. I have some Kent Freshwater Plant food and some Kent Pro-Plant. Can they be of any further use to me, or should I just get rid of them. At the end of this post I will list the stuff they say is in them.

I have been using the EI method with Gregg's products for about a month now. Last week I upped my doses a little and am doing the following on alternating days.
A touch overfull 1/4 teaspoon of KN03 and a touch over 1/16 teaspoon of KH2P04 .Next day8 ml of Plantex CSM+B.
For the first two weeks growth was good in my tank but some of the plants looked a little withered at the leave edges but still growing. After a week of upping the doses a touch, the results have been amazing. The tank is looking great.
I am seeing a very little bit of Thread algae on some leaves close to the surface of the water, but not much.
I do see a few leaves on some Crypts that have some small center holes, yellow to brown around the inside of the hole, but very random.
KH is around 22.
PH is held around 7.0 or so.
20 gal Long, Heavy plant load.
2 SAE
6 Cardinal Tetra
4 Otos
65Watts PC.
10hr photo period.
There is another 65Watt bulb in the fixture that I don't turn on but could if it was suggested for some benefit.

Kent Break down:
Kent Pro-plant 1-0-0, Total Nitrogen(N) 1%, Boron (B)(Mn) .0002%, Magenesium (Mg) Mn) .05%, Sulfur (S)(Mn) .06%. Also Deionized water, humic acit and kelp extract.

Kent Freshwater Plant 0-0-3. Soluble Potash (K20) 3%, Copper (Cu) (Mn) .00001%, Iron (Fe)(Mn) .24% and .24% Chelated Iron, Manganese (Mn)(Mn) .01%, Molybdenum (Mo) (Mn) .000014%, Zinc (Zn)(Mn), and Deionized Water, humic acid, kelp extract.

Thanks for looken.

JR

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States
Re: EI and old Kent Plant food

jrneuzil said:
2. I have some Kent Freshwater Plant food and some Kent Pro-Plant. Can they be of any further use to me, or should I just get rid of them.

Just my opinion ... but I wouldn't throw decent "stuff" away ... if it were me, I would either:

1. use them the day before a major water change ... or
  2. use them the day of a water change as a way to replenish ...

Personally I prefer the first one ... let your plants consume everything they can, then "flush" the system so to speak ...