EI and ADA substrate

Kharn

Junior Poster
Jan 24, 2005
Hi :)

Im in the process of setting up my new 125 gallon tank.

The substrate is ADA Powersand topped with Aquasoil.

Should i start dosing right away using EI or should i wait a few weeks due to the fact that the powersand is fertilized ?

Best Regards Jimmy

alexperez

Prolific Poster
Jan 24, 2005
Sarasota, FL.
Re: EI and ADA substrate

If you are not going to be moving the plants around or distrubing the substrate then I would start EI right away but use like 1/2 dose. and increase slowly over time.
If you do a lot of rescaping then I would hold off for a few weeks or more and just Add micros and K.

Be careful with your CO2, with ADA Substrate the KH/PH chart is useless.
it will lower your PH, KH, GH. How long and how much depends how your original tap water params and how many water changes and how often and how well you vacum the substrate.

My KH out of the tap is 3KH and my ph sits at 5.5ph. if I were to follow the chart I would have 285ppm of CO2 but the fish don't show any signs of stress.

And be very careful in pulling out plants that have a good root system. I have spent many many hours trying to get the powersand back underneath the Aquasoil.

Good Luck and let us now how you like it.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

What Alex said.
I have the same beef's.

So many folks rattle on about how great it is, well, in some respects, but the two layer approach has trade offs and I don't like the low density, goes flying all over. Takes longer to do the pruning.........

Add the white sand front and any terracing over the long term........you know what is going to happen and folks can say whatever they want, we all know it's going to mix.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

unless someone wants a special effect in the looks of their substrate,it makes more sense to purchase something like soilmaster,i think they come in three different colors, and get the long term benefits of a much less expensive substrate. AND you don't have to worry about root'n in your tank changing things later,and we all do that.we are all looking for simplicity,that saves $$$ ! regards,cornhusker :) :)

alexperez

Prolific Poster
Jan 24, 2005
Sarasota, FL.

If I was doing a smaller tank and one that would have a medium amount of light and CO2. And just scaping it to let grow out in a few months. The ADA substrate IMHO would be great.

Regards,
ALex

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

ADa substrates are very nice and effective. Don't get either Alex or myself wrong.

I am pleased and they certainly are good for specific groups of folks/routines.

But they are not the end all and without their trade offs.

SM is nice for $$, You can also forgo the Powersand and use EI right away.

This works very well and then you have mix issues.

Power sand helps for the dosing since so many are irradic. I've always held that some sub dosing is a wise idea but have only done much with soil and non CO2 methods.

I do like ADA substrates very much though.
Namely the soil.
It's just clay.....but nice in it's consistency and size and color.

Regards,
Tom Barr

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany

Hi all,

let me tell you what I did years ago as to avoid mixing the two layers of aqua soil and power sand. When replanting I always cut the stems right above the substrat surface which left the complete root system untouched. Never had any problems with the rotting material. This might have been due to (don't read this, Tom) the strong heating cables (30 watts for a 20g tank) I was using at the time. Rather, I speculated the remainder of the decaying roots helped new plants to even grow better.

Regards,
Detlef