This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Eheim Skim350 Surface Skimmer Discount if you Pre-Order by 5/31 USA TBR Members Only

Discussion in 'Trades, swaps, sales' started by Matt F., May 19, 2013.

1. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:52 AM
    Be gone surface scum.

Now is your chance to ORDER the brand new to the U.S. market Eheim Skim350. See product specs below:

http://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/accessories/cleaning/surface_skimmer_skim350

For being an SFBAAPS/TBR member, you will receive a $4.00 discount on the cost of shipping if you order now. Use the "SFBAAPS" coupon code at the time of check-out.

Total unit price is $35.99 plus $4.00 shipping (with coupon). The flat rate for shipping is $4 no matter how many units you buy. The coupon and shipping price is only valid for USA members. Coupon will EXPIRE on 5/31/13.

Here is the link to order:

http://www.shop.trilbytropicals.com/Eheim-Skim350-3536310-720686350274.htm

The site lists this item as Backordered, but they are expecting a large shipment in the next two weeks. So this is a pre-order for the next shipment.

#1 Matt F., May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013
  2. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    A bunch of us over at the SFBAAPS got our units today and are impressed. I replaced my ADA Vuppa with this unit, and it seems to be outperforming it so far. It's much stronger at removing surface scum than the Vuppa. Plus the float prevents having to adjust daily.

Here is the unit on my ADA 60P:
    Quick and dirty, this is much better than the ADA Vuppa. No, it's not made of stainless steel or titanium, but it is functionally much more efficient at removing surface scum, and it is silent. The float allows for over an inch of evaporation without body adjustment, which is a big plus over the Vuppa, which you would have to adjust sometimes twice daily.

This is on my 60P:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you are suffering from surface scum, take advantage of this deal, which ends on 5/31. You don't have to live with it anymore. PS-sorry about the crappy quality pics. Took this with my old, but light Nikon P5000 P&S.

3. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Benefits of the Eheim Skim350 over the ADA Vuppa-I:

Eheim is much lighter
    Eheim is plastic and won't scratch the surface of your glass or acrylic tank
    Eheim uses suction cups, which will fit on any tank, unlike the vuppa, which requires a rimless tank.
    Eheim's surface head floats and allows for more than 1+" of evaporation w/o adjustment.
    Eheim's surface head has 4 portals for water to be literally sucked in, whereas the Vuppa has two and doesn't allow for as much water volume to pass through the unit.
    Eheim's motor/impeller is much more powerful than the Vuppa's
    Eheim's costs is $35.99 Plus $4 shipping (with coupon) versus the ADA Vuppa, which is MUCH more expensive
    Eheim's power cord is one piece and is good quality unlike the Chinese-made Vuppa power cord that can short out (ask me about this).
    Eheim maintenance is much easier than the vuppa, which has a press-fit impeller motor housing.
    So far no sucked up shrimp with the Eheim, which was a major problem with the Vuppa. With the Vuppa, the dead shrimp would clog the only inlet for water in the impeller motor housing, which would cease flow. You'd have to remove the housing and unclog the orifice to dislodge the body...what a PITA.

EDIT: the design makes it virtually impossible for shrimp to get sucked into the mechanical areas of this unit. There is a foam block filter that prevents solids from clogging the motor. Much better design that the other more expensive surface skimmer.

#3 Matt F., May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  4. thegasman

thegasman Subscriber

Local Time:
    My LFS had one in stock and I was able to check it out. I was very surprised at how small the unit is. It would not be out of place in a tank as small as a Mini-M or other 5 gallon tanks, especially if you run black backgrounds like I do. Glad to here that it works as good as it looks.

Nice tank Matt. How do you keep your tubing and pipes so clean?

5. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I, too, was surprised how compact the unit is. It works like a champ, and the best thing is, it's better engineered than the ADA Vuppa, and I've had both. Sold the Vuppa months before this became available in the U.S. Pre-ordered the Eheim a couple weeks ago. Bottom line is: the Eheim Skim350 outperforms the ADA Vuppa when it comes to functionality. Eheim really hit a home run with this product. You don't need to suffer from surface scum anymore.

About the tubing and pipes, I use an ADA SPring Washer to clean the inside of the pipes and tubes. Works like a charm. I also use bleach on the glass parts. The tank prior to this picture was covered with GDA. The lily pipes were also coated. So it took me about an hour to clean, then drain and fill the tank 3 times.

#5 Matt F., May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013
  6. thegasman

thegasman Subscriber

Local Time:
    Oh, okay. I was thinking I was doing something wrong and that's why my tubing/ pipes were ugly and dirty. I switched to black tubing/ pipes just to hide the mess. I still clean them every few months. Just did it today.

I agree that Eheim has done it again with the Skim350. The products that Eheim offers seem to be the best bang for the buck... time and time again. I loved my 2217 canister, until I went with a sump.

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Get 4-6 bushy nose baby plecos Matt.
    Cheap Labor.

8. thegasman

thegasman Subscriber

Local Time:
    +1. I just added one and what a difference! I'm going to add two more. I went with some locally grown albino bushy nose and they look great against the green and red plants.

9. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Right now the GDA cleans up easily. I'm paying less attention to my tank and more attention to certain writing projects lately...(my head hurts), so I'm only cleaning once every two weeks or so. If it gets unbearable, I'll check a few LFSs to see if they have any of the bushy nose variety. but so far, the GDA is an easy clean-up. I wonder how much of a dent a group of BN plecos would make in GDA. Sounds like a good course of action for the near future. I'd have to set up a quarantine tank, though, for a while.

10. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Just got some good news....

If you ever need new suction cups or an impeller, there are replacement parts available.

Replacement impeller for the skim 350 is the same as the compact 300 pump.
    Impeller--Part [HASHTAG]#7445868[/HASHTAG]
    Suction cups are part [HASHTAG]#7445854[/HASHTAG]

11. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5 days left. If you don't have an overflow or a wet/dry, a Mame, or other type or skimmer that attaches to a filter intake, this is the only way to keep the surface clear unless you want to invest in an ADA Vuppa, which is a lot less effective. About the same size as a Vuppa. I haven't had surface scum since I installed this.

12. Maxwell

Maxwell Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I am definitely gonna buy that skimmer..looks great and the function is actually quite simple. Discounts were mentioned up here..can anyone tell that how to avail that concessions and apply them to my purchase.

13. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If you buy from the link that I mentioned in post #1, just type in SFBAAPS into the coupon section while you check out. You'll get $4 off the cost of shipping (normally $8). If you want to buy two or more units, the cost is still $4 flat rate with that coupon code.

It works a lot better than the ADA Vuppa. I've had both. Sold the Vuppa. Let us know what you think after your install it.

Here is where you buy for that discount:

http://www.shop.trilbytropicals.com/Eheim-Skim350-3536310-720686350274.htm

This is your last chance to get one at the sale price (expires 5/31). After that, the price goes up and the shipping goes up.

#13 Matt F., May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
  14. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Two more days of the sale. The coupon code expires on 5/31. I haven't had ANY surface scum since I installed it. I can't say the same thing for the ADA Vuppa.

The distributor mentioned that the next batch is being cleared with customs and should arrive next week. He'll provide USPS tracking as soon as he ships the units. SHips via USPS Priority Mail.

15. sharkl11

sharkl11 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Nice, I just ordered one. Excited to try it out and have a clean clear surface. How often you have to replace the sponge filter eventually?

16. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Just rinse out the sponge in tap water. Should last a long time. I also asked the distributor for the replacement sponge part number. Should hear back in a day or so. Will post the sponge part number as soon as I know.

Congrats on the purchase.

17. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    One day left till the coupon expires. The coupon code will not be extended beyond this date. Now is the time ladies and gentleman. Last chance for orders with the coupon/discount. After this, the price will go up.

Get rid of your surface scum once and for all!

18. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Eheim Skim350 Sponge Cartridge Part Number 2615360
    Should be in stock next week with the shipment.

19. charlie

charlie Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Matt thanks for posting this & making us aware of this beauty by Eheim, after reading here I did some more research, went out & picked up 2 from my LFS = Very pleased.

20. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Our European brothers and sisters have had this thing for a few months, now. I'm just glad they released it here in the U.S. My tank has been surface scum free since I installed the Skim350. I tried an ADA vuppa before and it was mediocre at best. I'd still have surface scum despite running it 24/7. With the Eheim, no more surface scum. Why live with it when you don't have to! Glad you splurged on two. The price is right.