eheim 2322 for 20 gal

vartan

Junior Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Hy,
id like to ask, if an eheim 2322 is enough for a 60x35x35 cm (73l, ~20gal) tank, with 2x55 PL (planning to use both for 2-3h per day) and co2 injection. or should i add a koralia-nano for extra flow? I think its gonna be heavily planted, since this is my first high-light tank and i doubt i can resist to make a lil jungle.First i wanted to get a 2324 but idont want my fish and plants to get blown around like crazy but on the other side i dont want trouble caused by low flow rates. Thanks

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Hi vartan,

given the option I'd go for the bigger 2324 for two reasons:

The first being flow which in no way will blast your fish and plants around. You'll be able to reduce flow rate at initial stages if you think it's too strong (have a close look at the filter specifics). A lily pipe would reduce current even more.

And second the amount of bio media. A 2322 does not hold enough media for a 20g and resonable fish load. You would like to have some back-up for N consumption in cases of reduced plant growth anyway.

A jungle like 20g driven by a 2324 would even benefit a small koralia I suppose. The Eheims in question don't generate lots of current when in use for some time.

Best regards,
Detlef

vartan

Junior Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Well the thing is i alrdy bought the 2322, and since i got it from ebay i cant bring it back. So it seems that the best i can do is to keep to bioload low and buy a koralia as the filter ages, am i right?

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Yep,

besides that you should just use foam to keep current as high as possible, clean the bio media once a month, plant densely and trim as soon as plants reach the surface. Don't use a lily pipe as it would reduce flow too much!

Best of luck,
Detlef