Eheim 2224 for 45g?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey all,

I know these have a good rep but no personal experience with one.

I have a 45g that has a Magnum Hot and an old whisper II hob.

I would like to replace both with a single unit.

I know this will only turn it over >4 times per hour, but the bio-load is light and is mostly used as a quarantine tank..

However, I have placed 150 cardinals in their and have only had a few losses, so at times the load can be heavy......but lots of daily wc then lol

So would like to know if this is in fact a good reliable product and whether it is sufficient for my uses.

I have no issue with stepping up to a larger size or different mfg.

Looking for ease of use, reliability, and versatility.

Thanks as always!

jtparsons

Prolific Poster
Jan 18, 2009
Bellingham Wa
Gerry,
I just placed a new Ehiem canister on my tank and really like it. Its designed and constructed better than the Fluval canisters Ive had in the past. Ive only had it for a few days, but was so happy with the design, function and quality of construction I was comfortable throwing away the box. Knocking on wood.
-I cant comment on this unit for your tank size though. I basically use mine as a gaint c02 diffuser.

-Check out my post in the general plant area about this plant in my tank I cant ID. Its really interesting and Im starting to think more and more Ive stumbled on something new. Nobody has replied yet?

jmacego

Junior Poster
Dec 30, 2008
If it helps, I have a 2017 that's outlasted two sets of plumbing and is still dead silent. (I got it used, some time ago, and I think it was 10+ years old then?)

If dead silent is the goal, it's really hard to beat Eheim, but there are some (slightly) less expensive options with comparable filtration capacity if the dead silent thing isn't an issue.

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
I had a 2224 for 5+ years on a 20g and while all is true what's been said above the current produced by this unit is not the strongest particularly when the bio media has been in use for some time. Therefore I would not recommend using it for planted tanks above 20g.

I would even caution using it on a quarantine 45g since there might be too many spots of no current let alone the small amount of bio media for 150 cardinals! But sorry I can't talk from my own experience about this size of tank.

Best regards,
Detlef

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
All,

Many thanks for the replies!

I got what I wanted, and think I will go for a larger model.

They seem to be quiet and reliable and that is what I was looking for.

Plus it may be undersized for my application based on other's usage.

So, off to find a bigger model!

Detlef,

The quarantine also has many mature sponges floating around to help with bio-load. I swap them to the 180 display tank for 2 weeks PRIOR to new fish delivery. That way the tank has an extra 'helping hand' for when the fish arrive. That plus small daily water changes will keep the bio-load as less of an issue.

Jt,

I read the thread and could not identify. I bet that is why you have no responses, as maybe noone recognizes it. You have it in the right place though. I think when/if it gets bigger, we may have a better shot at the ID. Make sure you post a pic in a couple of weeks, as it matures.

Thanks again.