Effects of Finquel or Transmore on plants and bacteria ?

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
Tom (or anybody else for that matter), I have this task of failing to trap a Chinese Algae eater no matter what I tried. Am thinking of using Transmore (or Finquel) to put it to sleep.

Would that chemical have any effect on plants or the established bacteria colony? Appreciate your advice. TIA.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Roger,

Not familiar with the products you mention, but

I have had good success with using two nets.

One very large and wide net and a smaller one you use to chase the fish into the bigger one.

Also, do this when you are doing a WC so the water level is lower and the fish easier to see and catch.

Once captured, put the fish in a cup of water and stick it in the freezer for 10 minutes. This is relatively humane and will not affect the rest of the tank.
This is the method I use for sick and/or injured fish that will not recover.

I have a 180 gal so catching fish can be tough.

Hope this helps.

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
Thanks Gerryd. There's not much info on the net on those products. I am very concerned whether it would have any effect on plants and the bacteria colony.

I tried to use two nets as you suggested but I have lots of driftwood that obstructed my movement. :rolleyes: or I could be a lousy netter hehehe.

Probably Tom can shed some light on those chemicals. Think he is still at Plantfest.

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
I believe that the freezer method of euthanasia is no longer in favor, because it is supposedly very painful.

The least painful ways to put fish down are gross to think about but more humane, such as stomping on the fish or if it is small enough, using the garbage disposal.

BTW, I don't think it's a good idea to add any chemical to an aquarium unless one is very sure that he knows the possible effects on the entire aquarium environment.

Bill

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
My SAE's have just moved on to the pet store. They were big and fast. Drained tank down to a couple inches and caught them quite easily. Due to all the plants they had nowhere to go. I to advise against the sleeping potion, just isn't needed

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
Thank you everybody for all the suggestions.

Anyway, I am still interested in finding out the impact of that chemical on plants and onto the bacteria colony. :rolleyes:

bubuk

Junior Poster
Jul 4, 2008
I have tried making a trap from plastic bottle and it worked. I managed to trap 3 submarine-sized SAEs. But am still unable to catch the last remaining two, no matter what I tried. I am now thinking of using Transmore or Finquel :( .

Tom, any harm using those chemical ?