This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ecotech Radio G4 15 and 30 new Freshwater light, 95W

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Tom Barr, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    2:54 AM
    The new Ecotech radio g4 looks like someone listened to me and made the curves I've stated are likely best.

Did they thank me? No. Do I care? No.

I sent the comments to them a year or two ago I suppose. Anyway, they produced a decent light and a decent spectral radiograph.

http://radion.ecotechmarine.com/freshwater

350$ retail, the Exocitic run about 500$ and are 100W(come with a controller.

So these are likely better for hobbyist

2. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Really nice spectral output. Definitely worth looking into.

3. Chris Noto

Chris Noto Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It does look like a good product. I just wish they had engineered the unit's cooling without fans.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    The Exocitic do not have fans.

5. tinkerman

tinkerman Subscriber

Local Time:
    LED's should have a fan or a really big thick heatsink. Heat and led's are a bad combo. If led's get hot they burn out not something I would want spending this kind of money on a light.

6. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Most aquatic lights are going the route of passive cooling. only high wattage light crammed in smaller space use fans.

7. tinkerman

tinkerman Subscriber

Local Time:
    That's fine just letting people know if you spend 3-4x what most of the old school lighting(t5 and halide) and get the 50,000 hrs the led people ay you will get of led chips and no bulb replacement, you won't with out having a fan.

ATI is one of the few t5 people to offer fans for active cooling and have the highest par output and longest lasting bulb replacement because of it. Its the same for leds as you chips will have better par and last longer.

So if you want to buy a cheaper led with passive cooling great. I was just putting it out there that its not going to be better than a led with active cooling where you will get better par and the chips will last longer. Just because company's are going to passive cooling doesn't mean you have to buy their light knowing it won't last as long as one with active cooling and get the 50,000 hrs they say you should get out of the led chips and deal with a little fan noise.

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
  9. Peter Mathieson

Peter Mathieson Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Tinkerman has a point. The Ecoxotic has lost 10% of its initial output at only 7500hrs where benchmark commercial LED product with decent heat dissipation, passive heat sink or fan, would be 10% down at 35,000 hours. The spectra looks a bit ordinary too with the classic cyan "dip" and no near UV suggesting general illumination chips sets being adapted rather than LED chips designed for plant growth. Probably fine for public aquaria but may not be ideal over a planted tank.

10. Righteous

Righteous Subscriber

Local Time:
    Anyone know where to buy the Radion 15 G4? I can't find it online anywhere, and the only place that does seem to offer it just says "Pre-Order"

Has it been released yet?

11. Righteous

Righteous Subscriber

Local Time:
    Never mind... I emailed them and they said it just came in and changed it to in stock.

12. skipcharlie

skipcharlie Subscriber

Local Time:
    Is there any settings or recommended curves for how to program this light? Instructions, etc. Software is extremely buggy. I've called ecotech but it's like pulling teeth. Any ideas?

​​​​​

13. Lovebug

Lovebug Member

Local Time:
    9:54 PM
    I just set up a tank using this light on a 40g breeder, and I'm very happy so far. Bought it local from That Fish Place. The spread is WIDE, though I'm considering a second with a 36" wide tank. We'll see. Running at 60% right now and I'm getting good growth, but the corners are a little shaded.

I had a bugger of a time with the EcoSmart Live online scheduler, but once I updated the firmware, it's been working like a charm.

14. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:54 PM
    Thank you for all of your knowledge biscuits. Is there a Tom Barr appreciation day yet? I feel like that should be a forum holiday. I feel like you'd say you don't want it, but then you could tell people you have a holiday named after you.

DutchMuch likes this.