This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

EcoTech Marine Radion - Help me test them

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MiamiAG, Apr 6, 2012.

1. MiamiAG

MiamiAG Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:39 PM
    [​IMG]

So the awesome folks at EcoTech Marine were kind enough to loan me a Radion and a Vortech MP10! I love those guys! :love_heart:

I'm going to set up a brand new 24g aquarium to test them on. I'll be reporting on how well I can get them to work in a planted aquarium environment. The added flow of the Vortech will be awesome to see as well.

Now I have developed some tests that I will be running that I think are important for us planted aquarium hobbyists. However, I want to be sure I get everyone else's input on what they would like to see.

PLEASE let me know what tests you want me to run on these puppies and what you want me to report on. We know these guys work well for reefs. Let's see how well they perform for planted aquariums.

I very much appreciate it.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    You are only as good as your CO2.
    One thing to consider is a split plot.

One side have a HQI, or T5...and a porous screen.
    Then the other, the LED and the vortech, the screen should be a dull grey, not white due to reflection.
    It should also stop the added flow from the vortech.

Filtration and CO2 should be pulled in from middle and split returns, one going to each side.

ADa As sediment, rich ferts in the water.

This will isolate the 2 factors fairly well.

3. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Art,

I personally do not have a need to know if they're better at growing plants then T5's. Although, on second thought, it would provide for a nice comparison. Something unexpected might show up worth knowing. If PAR of the T5 and the LED are similar I'm not sure what the difference would be to the plants. It's that shimmering water that's appealing to shoppers. As for myself, I'm still undecided and not in the market for new lights just yet. I use the Fenix LD20 flashlight and two AA batteries, http://youtu.be/hO1_EYAoVMU for now. When I want shimmer, I attach it to the tank as a spot.

For the vortech, you might also try a before and after test. What is it improving exactly other then wow factor. It does have that.

4. MiamiAG

MiamiAG Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks, Tom and Tug!

Here's the unpacking start:

[​IMG]

5. jasonevans

jasonevans Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Please update, was looking at the same package for my 32g. can't wait to here how they are working.....

6. scoupland

scoupland Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'd love to hear some feedback on your experience with the Radions. Even if you get better growth with T5's/T8's/MH, do you get growth? There are some attractive aspects to LEDs (e.g., shimmer effect, low heat output, don't have to change bulbs, etc), and if they can grow plants at some level, I 'd like to know about it. Vivid aquariums has a very large test tank with half MH and half Radions but it is a SW tank. It has been interesting to see the comparison between the two sides of the tank.