Ecosystems by Design

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
A little pricey for me, but very cool concept...

Reminds me of my summer outdoor tubs (only for fish that can handle temperature fluctuations) ... happy fish, feeding only necessary at fairly high fish loads, lots of breeding ...

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
That is an interesting service, and it is primarily an aquarium installation and upkeep service. I hope someone who tries this will let us know how it works out.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'll do it using a non CO2 planted tank and if the client adds water and feeds the fish once in awhile, I'll be happy to charge you a weekly or monthly fee and show up once every 6-12 months for the service:eek:

Non CO2 tanks do the same thing, in FW, using plants, not algae will work better for cycling and export of wastewater. See the Algae scrubber thread for marine systems.

I'm not keen on so many inverts, worms etc etc, I know parasites and other issues will ensue with many species of fish.

Regards,
Tom Barr

waehner

Junior Poster
Nov 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
That is a fascinating science project, probably not the most effective way to manage an aquarium. Specifically, I wonder what prevents pockets of the compost from becoming anaerobic and foul. I also wonder what keeps the insect "pets" in.

Outdoors, this kind of system can be very efficient at producing edible fish and purifying water. Google "aquaponics" or "permaculture" if you're interested. While these topics aren't terribly relevant to the hobby of aquascaping, the skills and knowledge used in the hobby all apply to aquaculture systems.