This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ecosystems by Design

Discussion in 'Articles' started by bedard, Jan 6, 2009.

1. bedard

bedard Junior Poster

2. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

A little pricey for me, but very cool concept...

Reminds me of my summer outdoor tubs (only for fish that can handle temperature fluctuations) ... happy fish, feeding only necessary at fairly high fish loads, lots of breeding ...

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

That is an interesting service, and it is primarily an aquarium installation and upkeep service. I hope someone who tries this will let us know how it works out.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

I'll do it using a non CO2 planted tank and if the client adds water and feeds the fish once in awhile, I'll be happy to charge you a weekly or monthly fee and show up once every 6-12 months for the service:eek:

Non CO2 tanks do the same thing, in FW, using plants, not algae will work better for cycling and export of wastewater. See the Algae scrubber thread for marine systems.

I'm not keen on so many inverts, worms etc etc, I know parasites and other issues will ensue with many species of fish.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. waehner

waehner Junior Poster

That is a fascinating science project, probably not the most effective way to manage an aquarium. Specifically, I wonder what prevents pockets of the compost from becoming anaerobic and foul. I also wonder what keeps the insect "pets" in.

Outdoors, this kind of system can be very efficient at producing edible fish and purifying water. Google "aquaponics" or "permaculture" if you're interested. While these topics aren't terribly relevant to the hobby of aquascaping, the skills and knowledge used in the hobby all apply to aquaculture systems.