Eco-Complete Restart

johnnytang

Junior Poster
Mar 24, 2013
I have had my 40 breeder up and running for the past 6 months but moved about a month ago. When I moved I just reused already used Aquasoil with a pool filter sand cap because I didn't have time to redo it the proper way. Now that I have had some time to unpack and get organized, I am going to redo the tank with eco-complete. I have done some reading and have heard that it comes with a "bacteria starter" already added to the substrate. When using this with an already established filter, and 20 tetras and a few amanos, do I need to rinse it to get rid of the bacteria starter? Or will I be okay with adding without rinsing?

I bought 6 bags,I know it is probably more than I need but I wanted to make sure I could slope it.

Thanks for the help!

Whiskey

Jun 14, 2010
San Diego, CA
Mine came with the bacteria starter in a pouch, not in the gravel itself if memory serves.

Either way I'm sure you will be fine. I would probably rinse just to get rid of dust and such.

Expect Ammonia anyway though, since you will be uprooting the substrate where allot of your bacteria filter lives. Just in case I would have Prime on hand.

HTH!
Whiskey