Eco-Complete Planted Black

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
Hello,

I just both 80 lb of Eco-Complete Planted Black substrate from Petco, on sale for $15.99/bag and free shipping. This will give me about 1 1/2" of Eco. Can I mix this with my old inert cheap gravel I have in my tanks right now ? My thinking is that the old substrate already has beneficial bacteria. Or should I order another 4 bags of Eco and just get rid of the old inert cheap gravel?
Darn, I am getting too obsessed with this hobby :)
 

hbosman

Guru Class Expert
Oct 22, 2008
277
1
18
Leesburg VA USA
You could keep the original gravel but I would keep it together in one area of the tank. That way it would be easier to remove the old gravel and replace it with Eco-complete. Since the Eco-complete is on sale and if you have the funds, you could buy what you need now and replace the old gravel gradually on water change days for instance. I did this when I changed from Estes gravel to Flourite. It's kind of tedious but easier than starting over with the recycle.
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
It looks like I'll get 4 more bags and replace the old grave gradually, during 3 or 4 wcs. Thanks hbosman.

Edit:

Got another 4 bags. Darn, she'll kill me when the substrate arrives.:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
Mini cycle

I will not change any media or clean the filters until I change the substrate.Will I still get a mini cycle if I decide to change it all at once ?
 

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
1,092
11
38
You might have a mini cycle but if that's really a concern you could always put the old stuff into some mesh bags ( or lady's nylons ) and leave that in the tank for a bit longer, or place it in the filter flow somehow. This will keep it in the tank for a bit longer before removing it.

Alternately some extra water changes would likely work just as well.

-
S


barbarossa4122;55201 said:
I will not change any media or clean the filters until I change the substrate.Will I still get a mini cycle if I decide to change it all at once ?
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
shoggoth43;55207 said:
You might have a mini cycle but if that's really a concern you could always put the old stuff into some mesh bags ( or lady's nylons ) and leave that in the tank for a bit longer, or place it in the filter flow somehow. This will keep it in the tank for a bit longer before removing it.

Alternately some extra water changes would likely work just as well.

-
S

Hi,

The mesh bags idea sounds great. Thanks.
 

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
3,210
1
36
Surprise, AZ
All Of The Above

Hi,

All of the above! :gw

The red Hornwort should suck up the excess NH4, not to mention NO3, NO2 and N. :D

If we don't hear from you for awhile we will call the cops, though I am thinking no jury will convict her. :eek:

Biollante
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
Biollante;55231 said:
Hi,

All of the above! :gw

The red Hornwort should suck up the excess NH4, not to mention NO3, NO2 and N. :D

If we don't hear from you for awhile we will call the cops, though I am thinking no jury will convict her. :eek:

Biollante

Yep, she will not be convicted in NYC.:) I still have about a week to go.
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
OK, after 3 hrs of work my Eco is in. I'll test the water tomorrow morning. Btw, it looks great, worth the price imo. Lol, next week the canisters are coming.
 

Ekrindul

Guru Class Expert
Jul 9, 2010
114
0
16
Euless, TX
That's what I like about Eco. It does look very nice; I prefer it to the look of ADA AS. Almost no cloudiness, even initially. What I like less about it is how all the pebble sized pieces begin to emerge after just a day. Can be hard to plant in sometimes once that starts. A pair of forceps generally gets around the issue, though.
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
Ekrindul;55414 said:
That's what I like about Eco. It does look very nice; I prefer it to the look of ADA AS. Almost no cloudiness, even initially. What I like less about it is how all the pebble sized pieces begin to emerge after just a day. Can be hard to plant in sometimes once that starts. A pair of forceps generally gets around the issue, though.

Yeah it looks great, my wife loves it. Btw, she is the one that did most of the work. I have the forceps in case I need it.
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
Hi,

12 hrs after changing the substrate update, if anyone is interested:

Gh-6
Kh-4
Ammo-0
Nitrate-10
Nitrite-0
Ph-7
Same as before, just the nitrates are a bit low.

Fish OK, I am OK.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
3,210
1
36
Surprise, AZ
Elevating NO2- Foreshadows NH4+

Hi,

You are doing well the mini-cycle if it occurs will be like 3-10 days out, I doubt it will be significant though the elevating Nitrite is an indication that your system is not keeping up.

If you have any more plants to toss in this would be a good time. :gw

I cannot recall if you have any sensitive critters. If you do consider a little Zeolite in the filters or dumped directly in the tank if you do not mind. :)

Biollante
 

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
975
0
16
NYC
Hey,

Sorry I am late with my reply but, I just saw your post. Nope, no sensitive critters. Everything it's OK now. Thanks again Bio.