Echinodorus tenellus for a 10g tank.

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Mmmmm,
I have no real experience with Pygmy chain sword except when it died in my tank before I started using CO2. This one will need CO2, grows relatively fast and spreads by runners. Best to plant them with some space between each plant (3-4 inches). Another important point is to plant them a half inch to an inch away from the glass, runners reach the glass pretty quickly. One every four inches in a tank that's 24 by 12, add a few for good luck = two dozen.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Tug;56918 said:
Mmmmm,
I have no real experience with Pygmy chain sword except when it died in my tank before I started using CO2. This one will need CO2, grows relatively fast and spreads by runners. Best to plant them with some space between each plant (3-4 inches). Another important point is to plant them a half inch to an inch away from the glass, runners reach the glass pretty quickly. One every four inches in a tank that's 24 by 12, add a few for good luck = two dozen.

Thanks for the advice Tug. I just bought a few from The Planted Tank S&S. Let's see if Excel dosing will be enough.

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Hi,

Echinodorus tenellus, which, unfortunately, is being renamed to Helanthium tenellum, grows like the weed it is with reasonable light and a rich substrate.

Its height is very dependent on the conditions in which is is grown. I have it in most of my tanks, and it's height ranges from an inch or two to about 10 inches. If you want to use it as a carpet, be sure it isn't crowded and has enough light or it will become a background plant.

Its runners also have to be pruned because under good conditions it will spread rapidly to places where you don't want it.

Bill

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
aquabillpers;56920 said:
Hi,

Echinodorus tenellus, which, unfortunately, is being renamed to Helanthium tenellum, grows like the weed it is with reasonable light and a rich substrate.

Its height is very dependent on the conditions in which is is grown. I have it in most of my tanks, and it's height ranges from an inch or two to about 10 inches. If you want to use it as a carpet, be sure it isn't crowded and has enough light or it will become a background plant.

Its runners also have to be pruned because under good conditions it will spread rapidly to places where you don't want it.

Bill

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I have Eco Complete substrate and can provide plenty of Osmocote Plus root tabs. Light is 2 18w T8 fixtures with poor reflectors and according to some chart I saw this will give me medium light for my 10g tank but, I do not have any co2 except for Excel dosing. I'll give it a try anyway. Lol, wife is obsessed with having a carpet/lawn in the tank.

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
It is a bit high for a carpet I think. It grows 5 inch tall easy. Further don't keep it to dense becouse it stops the flow go trough it and then it get algae.
Beside that it grows like weed in a CO2 thank never tried it on a non CO2 tank. But my guess is it does grows very well on exel.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
dbazuin;56981 said:
It is a bit high for a carpet I think. It grows 5 inch tall easy. Further don't keep it to dense becouse it stops the flow go trough it and then it get algae.
Beside that it grows like weed in a CO2 thank never tried it on a non CO2 tank. But my guess is it does grows very well on exel.

Thanks. I'll show this post to my wife since it's her tank.:rolleyes:

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
If you are still considering plants, this might be an option.
Pogostemon helferi is a different but beautiful foreground plant which under good growth conditions forms a dense carpet of dark green leaves. The curly leaves and different leaf form make it stand out from the crowd of other foreground plants and thereby, it creates an attractive variation and regeneration of the planted aquarium - Tropica
http://www.tropica.com/advising/plant-articles/pogostemon-helferi-.aspx

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
The helferi is indeed a good alternative. I have both en the helferi looks great but I am not sure about the tenellus, it grows fine but the look does not fit my scape. Maybe I dump it.
I hear a lot of people complain about the helferi. It dies on them or have very little grow. But when you give it enough nutrients it grows very easy en fast enough.