Dymax diffuser

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Yea, but why have the spiral thingy? You can count just fine with a straight tube like the ADA carbcon ruby or any cylinder that goes from small to large to small filled with a liquid.

It makes little sense other than to look pretty.

The ADA beetle counters are actually much better and more able to count higher flow rates IME.

This just seems like lip service to ADA without thought.
I also do not understand the wide ugly lip on these style/brand.

Looks bad, bulky and serves little use.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
Tom Barr;14683 said:
Yea, but why have the spiral thingy? You can count just fine with a straight tube like the ADA carbcon ruby or any cylinder that goes from small to large to small filled with a liquid.

It makes little sense other than to look pretty.

The ADA beetle counters are actually much better and more able to count higher flow rates IME.

This just seems like lip service to ADA without thought.
I also do not understand the wide ugly lip on these style/brand.

Looks bad, bulky and serves little use.

Regards,
Tom Barr

my thoughts entirely Tom, and to be honest, on the rare times that the bubbles do go through the spiral, it makes it impossible to count them anyway. Looks pretty, does very little. If it hadnt been so much, id have bought another type.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
The Rhinox are nice off ebay and are ADA knock offs that appear to do well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
Tom Barr;14702 said:
The Rhinox are nice off ebay and are ADA knock offs that appear to do well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

That looks much more like it. Ive been unhappy with the large size of the bubbles coming from the dymax, I might have a think about getting that one, its pretty cheap to.

Dave Spencer

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2007
I have just started using this diffuser in my tank. It was bought as a back up because I keep breaking the bloody things, and I thought I would try a different type. On the first day the bubbles would come straight out of the hole at the base of the spiral.

After the night time shut off the whole thing backfilled with water up to the NRV, and when the solenoid energised the following day it started working perfectly. It produces some of the finest threads of bubbles I have seen.

Shame it makes a slight squealing noise, though.

Dave.

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
There seems to be alot of variation in the ceramic disks on these defussers, my dymax is really below standard as far as the size of the bubbles are concerned.. having a tank only 15" deep means that there isnt alot of time before the bubbles get to the surface, even though when they do, they run into the outlet blowing htem about, but even so, I still get alot of loss.

The spiral, when it works, does nothing more than look pretty really, its impossible to count bubbles with it. To be honest, I put mine as low as possible in the tank, so you cant see it anyway. Ive ordered the rhynox 5000 now, so as soon as it comes, ill soak the dymax in bleech, and throw it into storage.

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
Got my Rhynox 5000 today, at long last from ebay. Wow, what a difference to that rubbish Dymax.. bubbles are 10x smaller, a full proper mist this time.. Ill have to keep an eye on the drop checker, cos this looks far far more efficient.

ulster exile

Junior Poster
May 2, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Frolicsome_Flora;14979 said:
Got my Rhynox 5000 today, at long last from ebay. Wow, what a difference to that rubbish Dymax.. bubbles are 10x smaller, a full proper mist this time.. Ill have to keep an eye on the drop checker, cos this looks far far more efficient.
Glad to read this post - the only time this thing of mine has even appeared to diffuse nicely is just after I had cleaned it. I had microbubbles for all of half an hour...

Like I said in my op, looking at the rhinox 5000 - now to convince 'he who thinks he is boss'