This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Dymax diffuser

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Frolicsome_Flora, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Frolicsome_Flora

Frolicsome_Flora Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    6:18 AM
    what a bizzare thing, after however long its been.. the bubbles start going through the spiral tube.. although I still cant see what good that does

2. turbomkt

turbomkt Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The bubbles through the tube give you a way to count bubbles.

3. Frolicsome_Flora

Local Time:
    youd think, when they go through the tube, which is random to say the least.. sometimes they do, then they dont.. i got a bubble counter.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Yea, but why have the spiral thingy? You can count just fine with a straight tube like the ADA carbcon ruby or any cylinder that goes from small to large to small filled with a liquid.

It makes little sense other than to look pretty.

The ADA beetle counters are actually much better and more able to count higher flow rates IME.

This just seems like lip service to ADA without thought.
    I also do not understand the wide ugly lip on these style/brand.

Looks bad, bulky and serves little use.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. Frolicsome_Flora

Local Time:
    my thoughts entirely Tom, and to be honest, on the rare times that the bubbles do go through the spiral, it makes it impossible to count them anyway. Looks pretty, does very little. If it hadnt been so much, id have bought another type.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    The Rhinox are nice off ebay and are ADA knock offs that appear to do well.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

7. Frolicsome_Flora

Local Time:
    That looks much more like it. Ive been unhappy with the large size of the bubbles coming from the dymax, I might have a think about getting that one, its pretty cheap to.

8. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I have just started using this diffuser in my tank. It was bought as a back up because I keep breaking the bloody things, and I thought I would try a different type. On the first day the bubbles would come straight out of the hole at the base of the spiral.

After the night time shut off the whole thing backfilled with water up to the NRV, and when the solenoid energised the following day it started working perfectly. It produces some of the finest threads of bubbles I have seen.

Shame it makes a slight squealing noise, though.

Dave.

9. Frolicsome_Flora

Local Time:
    There seems to be alot of variation in the ceramic disks on these defussers, my dymax is really below standard as far as the size of the bubbles are concerned.. having a tank only 15" deep means that there isnt alot of time before the bubbles get to the surface, even though when they do, they run into the outlet blowing htem about, but even so, I still get alot of loss.

The spiral, when it works, does nothing more than look pretty really, its impossible to count bubbles with it. To be honest, I put mine as low as possible in the tank, so you cant see it anyway. Ive ordered the rhynox 5000 now, so as soon as it comes, ill soak the dymax in bleech, and throw it into storage.

10. Frolicsome_Flora

Local Time:
    Got my Rhynox 5000 today, at long last from ebay. Wow, what a difference to that rubbish Dymax.. bubbles are 10x smaller, a full proper mist this time.. Ill have to keep an eye on the drop checker, cos this looks far far more efficient.

11. ulster exile

ulster exile Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Glad to read this post - the only time this thing of mine has even appeared to diffuse nicely is just after I had cleaned it. I had microbubbles for all of half an hour...

Like I said in my op, looking at the rhinox 5000 - now to convince 'he who thinks he is boss'