This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Sag is melting

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by filipem, Jul 25, 2008.

1. filipem

filipem Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    11:34 PM
    any thoughts as to why this is happening? I'm somewhat of a newbie and it could be that it's still adjusting to my tank but I'm not sure. All of the plants seem to be doing fine .

it's a 46 gallon 22" tall
    2x65W PC 12hrs a day
    PH 7.6
    GH 35

dosing EI method no CO2 just excel (dosing per instructions)
    Other plants in the tank consist of

Brown Crypt
    Pygmy Chain Sword
    Mirco Chain Sword
    Limnophila sessiflora
    Amazon Sword
    Potamogeton gayi
    Rotala Rotundifolia
    Limnophila aromatica
    Stargrass

2. ceg4048

ceg4048 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,
    With a lighting level of almost 3 wpg T5 and no CO2 it wouldn't surprise me if the sags are responding poorly to Excel only. Dosing Excel per instructions does not automatically give you the equivalent of 30 ppm injected gas so you may wish to consider lowering the light or adding CO2.

Cheers,

3. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    As suggested, cut the light in half and drop to 8-10 hrs per day.

These are fine

Excel can be dosed up to 1.5x the recommended dosage. Don't think anybody here would tell you to go higher. As stated by Ceg, Excel is not comparable to CO2. EI for Excel starts around 1/3 dosing.

Pack as many plants in the tank as possible. Faster growing stems to start with. Weekly water changes (IME) and a reasonable fish load. Observe the tank for 2-3 weeks before making changes.

Good Luck.

4. filipem

filipem Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    The tank is packed with plants mostly stem plants. Fish load is moderate

Thanks. I though with 22" of hieght and PC bulbs with poor relectors that the light was fine. If the light is not enough would doing a 4hr sunburst be a happy medium?

Currently here is what I have in my tank
    1 ram
    9 cardinal tetras
    10 harquin rasboas

Should I reduce NO3, PO4, trace as well? or wait and scale back gradually

Right now I'm dosing

N03 1/4 tsp 3X week
    PO4 1/16 tsp 3X week
    flourish 3mil 3X week
    50% water change 1X week
    Excel 5mil 6X week 20mil added one a week with water change.

Thanks for the help.

5. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Just go to one for a while and see what happens. PC lighting is very intense and can overdrive things. Many here have tanks with much less light and we grow weeds well. If you find the lighting unproductive, you can always add it back. The cool thing is you will gain an understanding at a different light level.

I see no problem with this fish load.

I personally use a bit more than 1/3 EI on my Excel tanks, but I gained this level gradually as I watched the plants and adjusted things. Basically Excel is only going to do so much for a carbon source alone. Then you must work within these parameters.

Maybe leave for now. Try working one problem at a time so you can see what you're doing (ie. cause and effect).

The Excel at 1 ml per 10 gallon = 4.5ml x 1.5 = 6.75ml daily. On WC day 5ml per 10 gallon = 22.5ml. So you are close enough based on the tank volume only.

6. filipem

filipem Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thank you both for your replies. Good suggestion on reducing the photo period and nothing else. I just want to get things on the right track as quick as possible. I never thought about changing one parameter and measuring each change. I am running only one light for now. If the plants do not respond well to that I will try a sunburst for 4 hours.

7. Panda

Panda Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Until recently I didn't had any luck with dwarf sags. Some died and some survived. The ones that make it didn't grew or had runners. They just hang in there.
    Now they are really growing at about 2 watts per gallon, EI and most important: CO2. I have some in other tank also with EcoComplete with Excel that are very green but no runners. So Excel with good substrate is good....but CO2 is a most.