This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Lotus Melting?? 2nd time.

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Species' started by Jessy2363, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Jessy2363

Jessy2363 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:45 AM
    Hi everyone

So I keep the common Red Tiger Lotus and Green Tiger Lotus in my 300L Co2 injected Ei dosed aquarium. Now these grow like weeds for me with big and vibrant colours etc etc.

So I decided to get a dwarf tiger lily. And yeah it melted after about 2 months of owning it although it thrived up until it did start to disappear. Basically It started to send up those really long leaves that float on the surface before it carked it. Then eventually it just it stopped putting out leaves and I got down to the last leaf and that fell off and that was that. I have never seen it again. So I got another off a friend and I think the same thing is about to happen. I want to know what the problem could be before I loose the second one.

Why can I keep so many other species of plants but this one I can't? No deficiencies are present in my tank and this plant is not considered a difficult plant to keep by any stretch. Co2 is sky rocketing during the day and my drop checker is on lime green to yellow on peak hours. I dose N, P, K, MG, CA, Iron and trace. My PH sits around 5.8-6ph in peak Co2 during the day. Substrate is a clay based mix which all my other plants enjoy. I hardly get algae issues.

I have attached a photo of my tank. The red tiger lily is on the right hand side of the tank with the pink leaves to the left of the twisted val on the far right wall. It's rather big in this pic but this pic is old pic when it was thriving and this lily is no longer alive :( I didn't change anything as far as I am aware.

I highly doubt anyone has the answer to this bizarre puzzle but I am going to try my luck here regardless as someone may well know about this species in specific or has anyone had this happen?

2. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    10:45 PM
    Could it be it was lacking light? I see a lot of overcrowding in this tank, nice stuff.

3. Jessy2363

Jessy2363 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:45 AM
    Yeah possibly it is overcrowding. I run 4 LED light hoods on this tank 3 of them being somewhat powerful. I think the photo sort of dimmed the light a bit as It does look brighter in person but yeah you could actually be correct as possibly my other lotus plants shaded it just a bit too much near the crown. Maybe I could liken this plant's light demands to Rotala Macrandra in the way it needs insanely bright light and does not tolerate shade one bit. Ahh well :)Thanks for replying!