This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Dutchy's 180 gallon scape "Moments of Tranquility"

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by dutchy, Aug 8, 2012.

1. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:17 AM
    Hi,

Here's my scape as it is now. My goals have changed a bit over time as less maintainance is getting more important, so I made some changes recently, it still needs some weeks to fill in.

Lately I pushed back the plants backward from the front window and increased substrate height in the back corners to around 10 inch. This gives more perspective. I'm still thinking about making some small rock formations in the front near the Blyxa, not sure yet. If you want to give me advice about that, please don't hesitate.

Fish are now around 50 cardinals, 18 hatchets and some Apistos.

Too bad the upcoming AGA aquascaping contest closes in 4 weeks, I don't think it will be ready on time to enter.....

[​IMG]

Filtration is provided by two Eheim 2078e's and CO2 by a pH controller with two AM1000 reactors. A Vortech MP20 takes care of surface agitation. Lights are 4 rows of T5 at 6500K with 10 hours of duration. PAR is around 75 at substrate level.

#1 dutchy, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi HJ,

I was wondering what happened to your scape :) It has been awhile since you posted a pic....

Looks nice! I like the reappearance of your substrate. I really like the left side wood but would l.aromatica be better in that corner, then the all green look?

I like the increased corner height looks good. You need more fish...

What about a bunch of small river stones?

3. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Gerry, well, I was in a dilemma what I was going to do scapewise, I didn't like the looks of the tank that much anymore so no pics....

Thnx, and actually, it is L. aromatica in that corner... I agree it needs some colour. Good remark, I have to see what I can improve there.

There might be more cardinals, but I'm also waiting for a school of red pencils...
    I might actually try something like that and post a new pic. Anyway they are easy to remove if I don't like it.

I've been reading along with your topic also and have to say your tank made dramatic improvements after a difficult start. Looks better all the time :)

#3 dutchy, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  4. 1077

1077 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Look's very nice to me.
    Might be leary of pencilfish in open top tank?
    Lost four out of a dozen in my low tech open top.
    Sometimes think the cory's spook these surface dweller's of an evening when they dart to the surface and pencilfish are resting, but other's who don't keep cory's report that they also leap on occasion from their tank's as well.
    Would happily replace the tops on my tank to be able to source some of the red pencilfish.
    Only beckford's here to be found.
    Have lost some faith in shipper's of livestock as of late but to be fair,,,Heat here in midwest U.S. has been intolerable and this is primary concern.

5. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thnx. The tank has a closed top btw.... The hatchets wouldn't also survive very long....

Beckfordi's are also very nice. Depending on their origin they can be very red and the behaviour of the competing males is very nice!!

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Thoughts on reversing the wood and having it come from the top Rear........down towards the front?

Then running the various plant groups in between the branches? Sort of like the 120 I have but starting at the top rear and coming down, this would give a classic full Dutch style, and a nice contrast divisions between the groups and a nice front to rear slope to work with.
    You can still leave the same overall shape and grouping, just change the orientation of the wood and rocks could be added if desired.

The other nice thing is the wood will be seen a fair amount and not block that much light really.
    Additionally, you can add Pellia or mini Pellia or Moss, Riccia etc.........to the wood to add another contrast on a branch or between the groups of plants.

My 120 is too shallow for this type of display typically, but I could do it at some point.
    If I remove my wood and replace, I could do that fairly easily.

7. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I love the colours of your 120, but the style is too much arranged for me. What I'm trying to do is a nature style scape, disarranged but no chaos and also no terrestrial scenery under water.

Scaping is even harder than growing plants. :( I'm getting better at it, but it takes a lot of trial and error. The problem is often limited hardscape resources, not having just the right size rock, or wood....

For others who want to know more about aquascaping, Amano's Aquajournal is a good resource.

#7 dutchy, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  8. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    HJ I think it looks great! I love how you opened it up. It would be nice if you added a lotus in there some where. I think it would add a nice pop of red! Anyhoo looks good.

Amen brother!!! Scaping is so difficult for me, and I'm sure loads of others! It takes lots of patience and eventually that will pay off. Keep posting pics...:)

9. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thnx Jerry,

I'll try to keep posting a pic every now and then. More people should do so btw. I just need a better camera...

10. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I made some changes.

I added Cyperus helferi in the right corner and also water sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta) The Ludwigia inclinata that was in the right corner moved over to the left, but will be replaced by Bacopa colorata. There is also some Ludwigia super red in the tank, but this still has to grow, there's only one stem visible at the moment, although there are more. This will be a larger bunch and bring some colour together with the Bacopa colorata.

I also made a forced ventilation from a PC power supply fan in the closed canopy to promote gas exchange. This resulted in a higer pH in the morning (from 7 to 7.2) and more pearling during the day, which might implicate O2 levels are higher now.

If you look back at the first pic you can see the growth over one week.

I'm going to add some more cardinals, although I have 50, they are masters in hiding and mostly come out as soon as the light decreases in the evening.

[​IMG]

#10 dutchy, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2012
  11. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yesterday I changed some things besides the normal trimming. I added a piece of wood to the left side to make it look less arranged and planted the Bacopa colorata, which is still in emersed form, so very green. I want to redo part of the right side, mainly the wood and the center plant, I ordered some M. trident after seeing Gerry's results. Also the water sprite grows too big and too messy. I ordered some new manzy pieces from Tom to redo this side. There also might be an arch between both sides, grown over with mosses.

I doubled the amount of cardinals, another result of looking at Gerry's videos. It looks better, before it was a bit empty. Maximum will be around a 100 for my tank, because Dutch NBAT competition rules don't allow more fish than 1 per 1.25 gallon. If I do more, this will cost me points. And the Dutch jury will be at my house to judge the tank, so no photoshop. ;)
    [​IMG]

#11 dutchy, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
  12. jerrybforl

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Love it HJ! Will you let the stauro carpet grow in? That will look awesome!

13. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    If you need more Starou, let me know, I have plenty right now.
    It'll make the trip also.

I agree a different variety of Java fern would look better. Trident or needle leaf.
    Yes, get rid of water sprite, it's a weed for new tanks.

I like Coffeefolia, but would a darker red crypt not look better in those spots? Seem that would be a nice contrast.
    Another plant that might look good would be the Hygro aragiaua.
    In fact, leave the star alone and add that in the open space. That would be different.

14. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    @Jerry: Thnx, yes the stauro has to grow in more, but it will not completely fill in the foreground. Or do you think I should?

@Tom: Can you elaborate a liitle bit more about the location for the H. araguaia?

The water sprite is exit tomorrow, this will be filled in with trident. I ordered a plant, but it takes long..... If you have some?

Tomorrow I will buy a few more cardinals :) and look out for some checkerboard cichlids (crenicaria)

#14 dutchy, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
  15. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    So today I removed the water sprite and changed it for some java fern as an intermediate solution while waiting for the trident fern. It looks better now, but I still need a plant right next to it, in front of the Cyperus. The P. erectus was replanted a little bit more to the rear. I also bought a small patch of giant willow moss. Plants are very cheap here, a big size java fern is only $3.

The tank is virtually algae free but high summer temperatures have risen the water temperature too high which is always visible on some plants. Nothing I can do, just wait until it cools down again

The cardinals are showing themselves much more now, seems that numbers do matter. Could not find any checkerboard cichlids, but I found an online source with next day delivery. Should be ok because fish also are imported that way. I might try that.

I made the pic with a different camera, so if you notice difference, there are no light changes or something like that.

[​IMG]

#15 dutchy, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
  16. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I meant to use the araguaia like a foreground plant, cover the entire open front space with it. Not as a permanent thing, but to highlight the plant and to do something different.
    The other fast easy option is filling it more with Starougyne repens, keeping it trimmed from the front of the glass, maybe 2-4 cm back etc.

17. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thnx for explaining. Good ideas, I will seriously think about that. Seems that I found a well known source for some plants that we both know ;) Will take some weeks though but maybe I can do it at the same time with the new wood.

The Stauro is actually not more than 2 inch from the front glass, but I was afraid there would be too much of a "line effect" if I use a carpet. But if it looks better that way, I'd better do it. The good thing about leaving a little bit of open space in the front is that the tank actually looks bigger.

Anyway I have to be careful when I change things now, the AGA contest closes in two weeks and the NBAT contest is within two months.

#17 dutchy, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
  18. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I'd focus on NBAT, you have enough time for that, not much for the AGA.

19. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi all,

I took another pic yesterday after (again) some changes. Since I decided to focus on the Dutch national scaping competition end of october, after a hint from Tom, I still have some time to make it better.

First of all I removed the Cyperus helferi in the right corner and replanted the Pogestemon erectus which gives a nicer more lengthwise view of this corner. Also totally on the right I planted some Heteranthera zosterfolia, with the intention to keep it kind of low, but make a bright contrast in a somewhat dark corner, which also won't make it grow that fast. More changes to come on this side of the tank....

According to Tom's suggestion I planted a red-brown crypt in the middle part which gives a nice accent between the green Blyxa.

I also received the new branches of manzy I ordered from Tom. One of the pieces is an arch which I want to try in the middle overgrown with some mosses. Will take some weeks before most of the tannins leach out and maybe I want to wait to make big changes until after the competition.

Not much fish visible in the new pic, there are like 100 cardinals now but as soon as I approach the tank they are gone for some time.

The weather is cooling down now so the water temp is dropping again to it's normal value and plants immediately resume their normal rate of growth, which looks a lot better.

[​IMG]

#19 dutchy, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  20. jerrybforl

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I love the Pogo in the back right corner HJ. Looks really good. I like how you trim it short to tall.