This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

DutchMuch Fluval V journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by DutchMuch, Mar 10, 2017.

1. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Routine maintenance (wasn't done before), and correct dosing (also wasn't done) just fixing the errors and letting time take the problem over, its only been 1 week im presuming it will take around 3 to 5 weeks to look "normal" or healthy again. And also idk if you think the tank is supposed to be aquascaped or not, but to answer that its not supposed to look attractive until the 65 gallon is done being planted because this guy here is going to get a big ol' rescape.

2. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

Ah ok.

I was just more curious as to what your plan of attack was and what steps you were doing to correct the issues? More frequent water changes? Lower lighting intensity or photo period? These are the things I was more interested in finding out. Or are you just taking the hands off approach?

3. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

The hands off approach was the approach that the tank took when I was gone, I now dose my fertilizers every other day (as usual) and do the regular routine maintenance, nothing special or out of the ordinary imo. Water change sunday (50 percent), trim when needed, etc etc

#63 DutchMuch, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  4. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

I'll be following along to see the progress.

As for my comment on things going backwards. It wasn't regarding the aquascape, I was more focused on the amount of algae growth that has happened in the last week. I'd up your water changes, see if that slows the algae down a little. just my 2 cents.

5. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Recovery Day 8
    [​IMG]

Dale Hazey and Dman like this.
  6. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Recovery Day 9
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#66 DutchMuch, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  7. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Algae on the glass :( wc this sunday is my cleaning day.

8. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Recovery Day 10
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Growth on those dead stems, and I even forgot what they were :)

[​IMG]
    Rotala butterfly is coming back to, get to plant those stems again when they get a bit larger, also going to add them to the emersed setup later on when I have a few more to spare.

Dman, Dale Hazey and Greggz like this.
  9. Dale Hazey

Dale Hazey Junior Poster

Looking good Dutchmuch!
    Look at those oxygen bubbles!

You aren't using co2 or excel?
    How long is your photoperiod?

Dale.

10. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Just did a waterchange so that's why the bubbles are there for the most part.
    No and no.
    about... 10 hours which most wouldn't do but im risky.. !

11. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Going to move around some of the plants tonight, to places where I think there growth would improve.

Recovery Day 11 (And 1)
    [​IMG]

Not to much of a difference, so im going to change the photoperiod to 6 hours (11:00am to 5:00pmm)

[​IMG]

Dman likes this.
  12. Dman

Dman Subscriber

Couple nice looking male CPD's there Dutch. looking like progress

Dan

13. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Got even more progress now, there are 3 male CPD's and 1 female (currently), there was another one but unfortunately I guess she jumped when I was on vacation. Im going to get about 20 cpd's in the big tank. Im doing the aquascape with the only fish being Micro Fish, or Nano Fish if you will. Biggest fish in there will be a blue neon goby.. And Thank you!

Moved the plants around a bit. And just added a Drop Checker.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These guys are still hanging in there to, my favorite of all the fish I have currently... (them and the blue powder gourami) One of the pandas died in the other tank, not recently though it was also when I was gone. There in these small tanks now but when the PFS goes in the big tank, im immediately moving everyone over to there (including the danios since the 1 female is being harassed)
    [​IMG]

Dman likes this.
  14. Dman

Dman Subscriber

I am actually planning to try and breed those goby's. I'm not sure anyone has managed yet but I plan to start attempting in 3-4 months once I finish this nerite snail breeding attempt.

Dan

15. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

@Dman oh cool, sounds like a neat project. I have always loved gobys, idk why I just do. Never have had any though :)

16. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Recovery Day 12
    [​IMG]

I actually have to trim the pw :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Blue.. blue blue blue... :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RESSURECTION!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The gourami is on my list of favs, such a beautiful fish imo. He's getting old for his age, and how long they live.

17. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

18. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Pressurized Co2 will be added in, lets say 2 weeks at the Latest.

19. slipfinger

slipfinger Junior Poster

I'm not to sure what your long term plans are with this tank. If you'd like it to improve faster get in there and scrub that algae off the glass. No water change/maintenance day is complete until at least the front and side glass are squeaky clean.

Keeping the tank as clean as you can, be it algae on the glass, removing dead or dying leaves, sifting the substrate and giving a it vac. All this little things add up and improve the over all quality of the tank.

If you have not done so already read Pikez, Going Dutch with Aquasoil Journal. Direct quote found on page 15 post #299. I bookmarked this post so I can refer back to it often.

Valuable info and he gave it away for free!

20. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Yes I have read pikez journal before, many comments I have made on there constantly praising the guy! I consider him a "mad scientist" lol!

I will simply answer you on this since I just woke up and my brain is not awake right now:

Long term plans: Really don't know, that's why right now its just a mash up.

Algae: I don't know what your seeing in the picture, other than the one space of algae I left for the shrimp (amanos) in there. I clean the glass 3x a week because it annoys me when it gets to algaefied. As for the dead plant matter, I try to get as much as I can during a water change, and im waiting for the syns. To grow up a bit more, but I don't think that really matters, they can be trimmed anytime, why not now?

Substrate: one thing I will never do, is vacuum my substrate. Weather it has dead plant matter in it, or anything. The substrate to me is the most important aspect to the tank, it contains bacteria, nutrients, and many biotic factors. Vacuuming the substrate, to me is removing all of those things. Maybe not all at a time, or all at once, but they are removed. In my other tank I have about a 1/4" mulm on the substrate which I strived for about a year 1/2 to get. People don't know though why I have corydoras in both of my tanks, as well as (will be) in the big tank. Notice all my substrates are sand, corydoras love sand and sand is a perfect media for bacteria to grow on and to catch debris. Corydoras and sand imo are a must, without having corys in sand your restricting your plant roots to much. Corydoras toss over the substrate and mix up the debris on top and put it under the substrate, letting it decay and keeping the biotic factors that are under the substrate alive by doing so, which all in all is good for your tank depending on how you look at it, but then you may wonder, how are my nitrates not off the roof? I have triple filtration in all of my tanks as of right now, I have three filters in this tank particularly, the substrate, the HOB, and the skimmer, all the plants in the tank that where there before craved and destroyed all those nitrates, and the reason that im getting a bit more algae than usual (which to me is no biggy its keeping me busy) algae than usual is because of those excess nitrates that are building up due to the fact that there aren't as many plants as there where 2 1/2 weeks ago or so.