Dutch style 180L tank (56K warning)

1aqufish

Junior Poster
Aug 16, 2010
Los Angeles Area
Beautiful tank. Reading this I was wondering if by not using the UV were you removing it from a filter output changing the flow rate? Or were you just unplugging it?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Some comments, nice to see the tank well trimmed, that never last and you have to trim again.
The repeated frequent trimmings can weigh a tank and some species down more than others which seem to like trimming.

If you can avoid trimming as frequently some sensitive species, this can help a lot.
Some plants are better topped, while others are better off pulled up and replant only the tops.

Adding more GH booster(Ca/K+/Mg) seems to help
Traces help
PO4 as well.

With less lighting, you can aviod frequent trimmings and the rates of the plant growth as they fill in after the trim is much more even and consistent.

The post water change coloration: what happens when you do a water change?
What likely is added a great deal?

CO2 mostly, perhaps some GH from the tap, or PO4?
You can also try doing 2x a week water changes to get the tank in good shape for a picture shoot, or a contest. Clean filters, and glass often, water change 2-3x a week for the last few days.
This might be a bit much work though for many people.

marian4232

Sep 8, 2008
Bucharest - Romania
Thank you for your appreciation.

1aqufish;63029 said:
Beautiful tank. Reading this I was wondering if by not using the UV were you removing it from a filter output changing the flow rate? Or were you just unplugging it?

I have removed the UV lamp for good.

I add the traces, PO4, K and Mg everyday.
I am not adding any Ca as the water in Bucharest already measures 50 ppm.

I don't mind the trimming.
I have also found out that the water change had no effect on plant colors.
I keep my aquarium clean, all the time.
I don't mind doing it, as long as it looks great.

I don't know if i showed you my shy attempt in mountain scaping.

IMG_5115.jpg

The tops of the rocks have not been cleaned before the shooting.
The tank looks better without the GDA on the rocks.

Best regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Hi Marian,

I think the scape is too symettrical. I would make the left group more voluminous and move it to the right to around one third of the tank length. You can make it more volumionous by interchanging the middle rock of both groups. That way you create a focal point (a big group on the left) and a smaller lower group on the right.

Something like this:
IMG_51153.jpg

This also brings more depth. Since the group on the right is smaller it seems to be further away.

Last edited by a moderator:

marian4232

Sep 8, 2008
Bucharest - Romania
Indeed it is, and i have tried to avoid it.

At the moment i cannot change anything without breaking it so i will leave it like this.
This tank has one more month of living and i will start something else.