This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Dutch Aquascape Plants

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by knives00005, Jun 13, 2018.

1. knives00005

knives00005 New Member

Local Time:
    11:04 PM
    Hello all -

So I've been reading about Dutch Style aquascape tips for quite some time now (while waiting for my co2).
    I've learned a few but I would like some personal input from members.

I would like some suggestions for the following:
    -Foreground plants
    -Midground plants
    -Back plants

So far I'm thinking of (sorry for my lack of knowledge on their scientific names):
    I have a small tank, just a standard 60cm 20g tank.

-Fore: - Monte Carlo, S. Repens
    -Mid: Alternanthera Reineckii Mini, Tripartita (I need 1-2 more)
    -Back: Crypt, Ludwigia senegalensis, Cabomba green, Hygrophilia Corymbosa Stricta

I know some don't pair well with others that's why I need some suggestions. :)

I have Hepo LED full spectrum around 40-50w, I will also be getting a co2 and I have ADA Aquasoil as substrate, and Seachem fertz.

2. msb

msb Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:04 PM
    Hello,

If I was to start another dutch style with aquasoil, id pack it out rite off the bat with easy fast growers. Use up all the space from the start. From your list I think Monte Carlo, Cabomba green, Hygrophila stems are nice easy plants. Add a easy shocking red plant to the list like Ludwigia sp. red and another two red or very colorful stems. Other easy ones I like are Ludwigia repens, Pennywort, Hygrophila difformis, and there are many others.

Aquasoil and dirted tanks are tricky at the start. You should be doing water changes every other day for awhile and with a bunch of fast growing weeds you will be trimming in no time and can easily export any algae. Then slowly start swapping out weedy stems like as an example Ludwigia repens for Ludwigia senegalensis a slower growing but nicer stem.

3. knives00005

knives00005 New Member

Local Time:
    11:04 PM
    Thank you -
    I already have a Jungle-like aquascape and will just restart the tank. The aquasoil has been in use for a good 6 months now.
    The main reason for the reboot is some plants have Cladophora algae - which h2o2 is kind of working but I really wanted to try Dutch aquascape. :)