This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Dust On My Plants And Ligtning

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by eVolution, Apr 9, 2019.

1. eVolution

eVolution New Member

Local Time:
    9:51 AM
    Hello there,

I'm new to dirted tanks, but read some articles and posts about them and decided it was a great way to get lot's of nutrients in for my plants without having to refresh water all the time.
    I've mixed some clay with forestsoil, washed it and then let it all rest and dry for a week or two. I then added laterite and mixed that through before adding it to my tank. I then put sand on top. However when my plants arrived and I added wood and stones to the tank and 'scaped' it all some of the 'dirt' came up and the tank got cloudy.
    I figured this would be normal, and after a day everything did indeed clear up. However some of my plants, like the rotala, are still covered under a tiny layer of dust. Same with some of the wood. Do I need to 'clean' them? Or is this normal and are they fine? I'm worried that the leaves might not get enough light?
    Especially because my tank only has 3 LED-strips.

I've chosen a low light tank and matching plants on purpose, but wonder if it isn't insufficient.
    I've got:
    Pistia stratiotes
    Microsorum Pteropus (Java fern)
    Vallisneria spiralis
    Staurogyne sp. "Bihar"
    Nymphoides hydrophylla
    Rotala rotundifolia
    Taxiphyllum barbieri (Java moss)

Any advice is more then welcome. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge! :)

2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:51 AM
    Gently waft the sediment off the plant leaves back in to suspension where it can be simultaneously syphoned out with a length of hose. Regular and substantial water changes are a good idea at start up anyway.

3. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:51 AM
    Get yourself some cheap red cherry shrimp. They are hardier than amano shrimp. They work 24/7 cleaning dusty stuff off of plant leaves, I couldn't imagine my tank without some shrimp around. Now if you have large enough fish the shrimp may end up as snacks, but that all depends on how many hiding spots there are in the tank.

eVolution likes this.