Dual Stage Regulators

stuffrider147

Prolific Poster
Sep 27, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Matt F.;61703 said:
I documented my conversion from jbj bubble counter to swagelok tube fitting here:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...m-JBJ-bubble-counter-to-Swagelok-Tube-Fitting

Hey Matt,

I went with the Swagelok tube adapters when I assembled my post body about a month ago. So Ideal valve-tube adapters; simple stuff.

Yesterday I was second guessing the brass check valve so I went to order the Brass Poppet Check Valve but noticed both ends are male http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_products_home.aspx?part=B-2C2-1/3&item=But. I'm assuming I need to order this http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_products_home.aspx?part=B-2-A&item=

Let me know your thoughts :)

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
stuffrider147;62086 said:
Hey Matt,

I went with the Swagelok tube adapters when I assembled my post body about a month ago. So Ideal valve-tube adapters; simple stuff.

Yesterday I was second guessing the brass check valve so I went to order the Brass Poppet Check Valve but noticed both ends are male http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_products_home.aspx?part=B-2C2-1/3&item=But. I'm assuming I need to order this http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_products_home.aspx?part=B-2-A&item=

Let me know your thoughts :)

From the ideal valve you'll need (in this order):
check valve w/ male ends b-2c2-1/3
female coupler b-2-hcg
http://www.swagelok.com/search-results/search-results.aspx?qs=b-2-hcg
tube adapter/fitting.

in other words, the b-2c2-1/3 will screw into the ideal valve...

the b-2c2-1/3 will screw into the female coupler (b-2-hcg)

then the tube adapter, since it has a male npt will screw into the b-2-hcg.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
My new toy............Matheson 8-320. I am up to 5 regs now. 2 new, one rebuilt and 2 used.

034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Caleb19

Junior Poster
Feb 14, 2011
Hey folks!! Brand spanking new to the forum and looking for some assistance. I have read through various threads about dual stage regulators and have come to the conclusion that Victor and Concua appear to be the favorites among the crowd. But with so many models out there, it is leaving me a bit overwhelmed on what to choose. So I was hoping for some suggestions, if possible links to these recommendations. Thanks in advance for any assistance in this endeavor! Oh, FYI I am looking to spend anywhere from $40-80 on this.

stuffrider147

Prolific Poster
Sep 27, 2010
Vancouver, BC
When I took the check valve out of the bag, I noticed there was a gap within the pieces. I blew air against the valve and it easily escaped through the gap.

Sorry for the horrific photography. But you can make out the gap as a dark shadow on the right side.

1-1.jpg

DSC02244.jpg

DSC02241.jpg

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I would first try and tighten it w/o pipe thread dope and see if it assembles tightly and fits well.

Then see if it works when well tightened.

If not, I would return.

Either way, I would notify Swagelok of the condition and ask them about it.

I am shocked it got past quality control (QC)...

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
That's a shocker! Never heard of one failing. They are a special order only item (hence the lead time). In other words, that unit was made for you specifically.
Although I personally appreciate you opening the unit to show us what's inside, I prob would have sent it back if it was leaking. That said, I would assemble the unit w/o pipe dope and check for leaks. Chances are the unit wasn't torqued to spec at the factory. Very strange.
Needless to say, you should email your locak distributor and notify them of what happened. Send pics, too. This should have been tight from the factory.
Just another thing for us all to check, now. :(

PS- I don't know if there is a preset load on that spring...I don't know what happends if you overtorque.

stuffrider147

Prolific Poster
Sep 27, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I thought someone would enjoy the internals.

Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely contact them tomorrow. And I got this valve for the peace-of-mind :(

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
stuffrider147;62445 said:
I thought someone would enjoy the internals.

Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely contact them tomorrow. And I got this valve for the peace-of-mind :(

update? what did they say?

stuffrider147

Prolific Poster
Sep 27, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Matt F.;62533 said:
update? what did they say?

Thank you Matt for taking an interest.

I was quite disappointed with the response I received. They said that the piece needs to be inspected because they don't know if it was properly used. I pointed out that I didn't install the piece and it came like that straight from the bag. A salesman was suppose to contact me Friday but I never received the call. I will call back tomorrow with some attitude. My local supplier is COLUMBIA VALVE & FITTING LTD. Let me know if I should add anything to the conversation on Monday.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
stuffrider147;62566 said:
Thank you Matt for taking an interest.

I was quite disappointed with the response I received. They said that the piece needs to be inspected because they don't know if it was properly used. I pointed out that I didn't install the piece and it came like that straight from the bag. A salesman was suppose to contact me Friday but I never received the call. I will call back tomorrow with some attitude. My local supplier is COLUMBIA VALVE & FITTING LTD. Let me know if I should add anything to the conversation on Monday.

I usually order straight from swagelok's site. They forward the order to the nearest swagelok warehouse and ship from there.
That said, you'll need to have this corrected by whomever you bought the part from or ordered it through.
They should take care of this w/o issue; otherwise contact swagelok directly and file a complaint.