This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Dual Stage Regulators

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Left C, Nov 17, 2009.

1. bsmith782

bsmith782 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    2:39 PM
    I would not mind adding a Matheson to my collection but I have no use for one. Do you have a link to the ones available? I may snag a few to hold on to for future use.

Maybe someone could answer this? I have a Victor and a Concoa. I cant relly tell a difference between the two as far as accuracy and reliability. Both have been preforming flawlessly for the past few years. Anyone know really which is really the best or worst out of the DSR's that we are using?

2. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Here's some Matheson's: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A4583&rt=nc&_nkw=matheson+regulator&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1514

VWR is another good two stage regulator: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=VWR+regulator

I'll always pick the Victor line over all others. But that's just me. It isn't based on any tests or studies. I just like them.

Some of the other brands look weird. Like this one. It looks like something Flash Gordon or Buck Rodgers would use: http://cgi.ebay.com/AGA-Gas-Regulator-Type-CB-200-2-6C-250-3000-4-85-PSI-/290509585053?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a3b87a9d

3. DukeNJ

DukeNJ Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hehe left C. I love that one...because it's different...and shiny. :)

I assume any name brand dual stage is engineered well beyond our applications needs and would perform well for a lifetime. Is that generally a safe assumption?

4. S&KGray

S&KGray Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    That is a nice AGA (re-branded Linde in this case) regulator.

I would say yes if its a Concoa, Harris, Linde, Matheson, Smith, Victor, or any of the previous re-branded. I may have missed some other well-known brands/manufacturers and the list is in alphabetical order as to not show favoritism. lol

5. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  6. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    #1746 Matt F., Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2010
  7. S&KGray

S&KGray Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    +1 nice Victor Rodent Regulator, is it single or dual stage? :p

8. instantcrow

instantcrow Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I tightened up some connections and now my bubble rate is constant and the pressure remains constant while the solenoid is open (10psi). However, when the solenoid closes, the pressure slowly rises to about 12.5psi. I think this is due to less volume and flow thereby causing an increase in low pressure side. But I thought dual stage regs were designed to provide constant output flow regardless of downstream flow. Could this be a leak? I now this is obsessive, I'm just curious.

9. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    a 2 psi difference in normal when the solenoid closes. It's the difference between flow and static pressure. This does not affect the constant outlfow rate of gas, for the regulator is delivering a constant pressure when the valve is open. When the solenoid opens, the pressure goes right back down to where you set the low pressure gauge.

According to victor techs this is normal. what would be abnormal is if your low pressure crept up more than about 3 psi 15 minutes after your solenoid shuts off. this would suggest that the diaphram(s) are shot and the regulator needs a rebuild, which is not that big a deal.

so a slight immediate increase in psi on the low pressure side is normal once the solenoid shuts off. It the low pressure increases 15 minutes or more after the solenoid shuts, there is a problemo.

#1749 Matt F., Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2010
  10. bsmith782

bsmith782 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Remember when MRmotercycles was selling the nice victors and concoas for ~$45? I wonder is he is still around and has anything nice?

If the V reps say its fine then I believe them but I have never, ever witnessed my pressure rise at all during shut off.

11. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    He started selling them for $19.30 shipped, I believe. The good ole days.

Several months back someone said they saw some regs on ebay that he was selling. I emailed him and I never heard back.

12. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    bsmith-

My brand new (from the factory) Nuaire/Victor VTS253A-1993 increased working pressure by .50 psi when the solenoid shuts off. I had a used Nuaire VTS253A-1993 that jumped a whole 2 psi.

This concerned me, so I contacted Thermadyne (aka Victor) and the tech assured me that a slight increase in working pressure is totally normal. The solenoid shuts off and changes from flow to static pressure. My low pressure gauges goes back to exactly where I set it once the solenoid opens again.

I had a VTS253B-320 that did this, too. So I wouldn't be too worried about it.

If the pressure increases after the initial immediate bump in psi at shut-off, then it's time for new diaphrams, etc.

What psi range gauges do you have on your regulator(s)?

13. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  14. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  15. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Bout time you got one.

#1755 Matt F., Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2010
  16. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  17. barbarossa4122

barbarossa4122 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi Left C,

What do you do with so many regulators ?:)
    Btw, I only have three but, 2 are in use.

18. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The female regulator cga threads are good on that one. All you need is a 320 stem/nut and you're in business. I asked the seller to post the pics of his remaining red knobs last night. They are in great shape. Even the one you got.

19. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    They are in hiatus right now. :)

I hope that this red knobber's inlet threads are in good shape. Take a look at the next to last and last picture. The threads may be galled.

20. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks!!! That's good news.

I didn't see this post when I just posted.