Dual Stage Regulators

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Well I assumed you posted the link as you did not want it yourself.....hope you didn't mind :)

I am usually a little late on auctions and wanted to nab this one...

I guess now just a solenoid and needle valve and I am good to go....

I don't use a bubble counter...........

This setup will be for my 45 gal non c02........

What does ninja post mean??? Never heard that term before.

S&KGray

Guru Class Expert
Nov 18, 2009
Garden Island
Gerryd;43754 said:
Well I assumed you posted the link as you did not want it yourself.....hope you didn't mind :)

I am usually a little late on auctions and wanted to nab this one...

I guess now just a solenoid and needle valve and I am good to go....

I don't use a bubble counter...........

This setup will be for my 45 gal non c02........

What does ninja post mean??? Never heard that term before.

Yes I posted it for whoever needed/wanted to get it. I am happy with one dual stage regulator for now hehe. :) Congrats again!

Ninja post means your post got in right before mine on the same subject. :D

For a solenoid see Left C's post here: http://www.barrreport.com/showpost.php?p=43587&postcount=60

For metering valve: http://cgi.ebay.com/Swagelok-Nupro-B-4MA-M-Flow-A-Pattern-Metering-Valve_W0QQitemZ400068375824 or http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Swagelok-SS-2MG-MH-SS11-Flow-Metering-Valve-1-8-in_W0QQitemZ400059530457

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Thanks again as I just got one of the valves from the third link provided....

Now to get a nice Clippard solenoid and I should be good to go!

I have a nice Sumo setup now, but this config will be a bit less expensive..

Thanks to ALL for the information in this thread.

Leftc, HOW do you find the time to find/write this stuff LOL

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Gerryd;43757 said:
... Left C, HOW do you find the time to find/write this stuff LOL
I'm retired and my apartment looks like a tornado hit it. :D

It is really fun researching this information. Most of the information that I find isn't contradictory like many things that we run across with planted aquariums.

Regulators and many parts used have been "standardized" which makes it easier to deal with. All the regulators that I worked with have a 1/4" FPT port. Commonly we use one of several styles of 1/4" MPT x 1/8" FPT or MPT reducers. Sometimes we use various styles of elbows. The Clippard solenoids can be purchased with either 1/8" or 1/4" FPT ports with 1/8" FPT being used the most often. Sometimes we use 1/8" MPT nipples or 1/8" MPT hex nipples for connecting a needle valve and/or a JBJ BC which has a 1/8" FPT fitting. Most of the parts that we use are 1/8" MPT or FPT.

I'm not getting involved with paintball and its equipment. It looks like it is too much fun to me. I'm sure that I would like it and I would probably get in trouble. So, no paintball questions and answers from me.

eiginh

Prolific Poster
Sep 17, 2009
I want to replace the plastic barbs on the NV-55 with metal ones. Is that all I need to purchase to complete a regulator set up using their kit?

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
eiginh;43766 said:
I want to replace the plastic barbs on the NV-55 with metal ones. Is that all I need to purchase to complete a regulator set up using their kit?
Their kit mounts the needle valve solidly to the solenoid and the JBJ BC.

This is different than what I think that you are wanting to do with your zip ties. You are wanting to mount it like Hoppy's. How would you mount the JBJ BC this way?

You can order either of these styles of Hose Barbs. Clippard recommends the first one, but either will work. The second one is the one that we see most often.
Hose Barbs Part # 11752–4-PKG - $4.50 / package of 10 - you need two hose barbs per check valve
http://www.clippard.com/store/display_details.asp?sku=11752-4-PKG
Hose Barbs Part # 11752–1-PKG - $4.50 / package of 10 - you need two hose barbs per check valve
http://www.clippard.com/store/display_details.asp?sku=11752-1-PKG

Here is a picture of the parts that come in the kit. Maybe you can figure out what you need from this picture. If not, contact Jeremy at OAD. I've never used his kit.

OregonAquaPostBodyKit.jpg

EDIT: I found the hose barbs at OAD: http://oregonaquadesign.vstore.ca/product_info.php/pName/1032-x-18-hose-barb

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Thank You!

Left C;43762 said:
I'm retired and my apartment looks like a tornado hit it. :D

It is really fun researching this information. Most of the information that I find isn't contradictory like many things that we run across with planted aquariums.

Regulators and many parts used have been "standardized" which makes it easier to deal with. All the regulators that I worked with have a 1/4" FPT port. Commonly we use one of several styles of 1/4" MPT x 1/8" FPT or MPT reducers. Sometimes we use various styles of elbows. The Clippard solenoids can be purchased with either 1/8" or 1/4" FPT ports with 1/8" FPT being used the most often. Sometimes we use 1/8" MPT nipples or 1/8" MPT hex nipples for connecting a needle valve and/or a JBJ BC which has a 1/8" FPT fitting. Most of the parts that we use are 1/8" MPT or FPT.

I'm not getting involved with paintball and its equipment. It looks like it is too much fun to me. I'm sure that I would like it and I would probably get in trouble. So, no paintball questions and answers from me.

Hi Left C,

Thank you!

Biollante

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Love Trashed Apartments

Left C;43769 said:
You are very welcome, but what for? My trashed apartment?

Hi Left C,

Yes in part your trashed apartment, :eek: your work and answering questions in an understandable manner. ;)

Making the effort. :)

Thank you for your efforts.

Biollante

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
eiginh;43766 said:
Is this what you are going to do? I don't know if OAD uses brass or plastic barbs. Most people use brass barbs. They are in OAD's list of parts. I posted it above. Maybe the kit below comes with brass barbs. I don't really know.

I think that this quote below is what you want to do with an inline NV and BC. But, I'm not positive. Maybe you want to get a JBJ BC from overseas and assemble it solidly to the other parts instead of inline.

From OAD: "The brass bubble counter is on back order and the manufacture and my supplier have no date for the release of new ones. This is a new temporary option that is default on "With out bubble counter" -$10.00, This means you want the kit and will due your own bubble counter. If you put the option on zero i will send a alternate bubble counter that goes inline and will have a Clippard check valve. It will be a plastic Hydor bubble counter that goes inline. This is a temporary measure until i can get the JBJ ones again. This is also the recommended way for those who want the Fabco but who do not want to run them on the assembly but inline."

eiginh

Prolific Poster
Sep 17, 2009
I'm going to use an inline bubble counter instead of the jbj bc. Thanks for the links!

Congratz on the new reg!

Cheers to Left C for the great information and have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
eiginh;43772 said:
I'm going to use an inline bubble counter instead of the jbj bc. Thanks for the links!

Congratz on the new reg!

Cheers to Left C for the great information and have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!
That's great. I like inline BC's anyway.

I hope that I helped you. I got a bit confused.

That will be my 13th regulator. I feel like a regulator and metering valve collector. Now if I had some solenoids, I could build a few.

I wish you and everyone a happy Thanksgiving too.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Biollante;43770 said:
Hi Left C,

Yes in part your trashed apartment, :eek: your work and answering questions in an understandable manner. ;)

Making the effort. :)

Thank you for your efforts.

Biollante
You are very welcome. Thank you very much for the kind words.

Sometimes the assembly parts go by two or more different names. This is confusing. I like to "decode" them and use the same name for each part all the time when it comes up.

marineboy

Junior Poster
Feb 5, 2009
Hey lefty how many regulators do you need . You just stole that one from me for 11.51. My high bid was 11.50.

misha

Junior Poster
Mar 15, 2007
Left C;43293 said:
Your are very welcome. We hope that we can help some people to make a better decision.

Like Tom said, "A good high grade CO2 system is well worth every penny spent and can go a long way to resolving issues, and it should also last a lifetime. Add a good needle valve to this and a good solenoid, then you are ready to go!"

What is your opinion about JBJ dual gauge regulator with solenoid and check valve? One thing there not so perfect is needle valve. How reliable these regulators are?Which precised needle valve should be added to this regulator that is comparable?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
misha;43814 said:
What is your opinion about JBJ dual gauge regulator with solenoid and check valve? One thing there not so perfect is needle valve. How reliable these regulators are?Which precised needle valve should be added to this regulator that is comparable?

Milkwaukee and JBJ are junk.
I've fried several trying to run it on a larger tank using higher than typical small tank CO2 flows. Once the Victor was on there, I've yet to have a single issue.

Go figure.

Regards,
Tom Barr