DSR: Total Conversion from JBJ bubble counter to Swagelok Tube Fitting

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
I decided to upgrade both my DSR (Dual Stage Regulators) due to the fact that one of my custom chrome plated JBJ bubble counters failed. The check valve was letting mineral oil into the Swagelok check valve just below it. I added the Swagelok check valve just in case this happened, so no damaged resulted from this failure. The same might not be said if you are running a JBJ bubble counter without another check valve just beneath.

Parts used:
Tube 4mm/6mm (ID/OD)
Swagelok SS-6MO-1-2 (male connector)
Swagelok SS-6M5-4M (insert for tubing)
Swagelok SS-2-HCG (hex coupling)
ADA bubble counter (in-line)

Victor SGT 500:

Here are some pictures of the unit before conversion:
TotalConversion001.jpg

TotalConversion002.jpg

TotalConversion003.jpg

Let the conversion begin:
TotalConversion004.jpg

TotalConversion005.jpg

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Now that the coupling has been installed, it's time for the tubing adapter:
TotalConversion007.jpg

TotalConversion008.jpg

TotalConversion009.jpg

TotalConversion010.jpg

For how to install the tube adapter properly, please see this thread:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8226-How-to-use-Swagelok-tube-fittings

The Swagelok tube adapter requires you to mark the nut that locks down the tube 1 1/4 turns from hand tight. I used a perm marker to mark the nut.

Here is the finished product:
TotalConversion011.jpg

TotalConversion012.jpg

TotalConversion013.jpg

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
VTS253A-1993:

Now for the other regulator:
TotalConversion014.jpg

TotalConversion015.jpg

TotalConversion016.jpg

TotalConversion017.jpg

TotalConversion018.jpg

Now, I make sure to keep everything clean when removing and installing. Wipe off old non-hardening thread sealer and install a new bead to prevent gas leaks. Pressure test to make sure there are no leaks, and make sure bubble rate hasn't been affected. Usually if you set you Ideal Valve and don't bump it during conversion, the bubble rate will be inaffected.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Some finished shots of this one...

As you can see, in this picture I have marked the hold down nut with perm. marker and am ready to do my 1 1/4 turn (from hand tight) fastening.
TotalConversion019.jpg

TotalConversion020.jpg

As always if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

fiftyfiveg

Junior Poster
Jun 20, 2009
Thank you for sharing. Is this conversion works with Ideal NV? and do you have brass parts number for them?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Fiftyfiveg, All of these parts are using an ideal valve. I am pretty sure that is an ideal valve w/vernier handle right there in his last pic...

Check out my regulator build thread for all details as to part # and others. also his thread on assembly should not be missed.

Matt,

Nice job. Looks great and something that my cats can't knock off...they will just have to chew through the tubing..can we encase with brass LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
As Gerryd mentioned, I am using a stainless Ideal Needle Valve:

V54-1-12

The check valve which I use is part number:

SS-2c2-1/3 (you can get the same check valve with female threads). Most of these check valves are made to order, so expect a lead time.

Gerryd's regulator will not be as tall. The 1/8" female coupler I used adds extra height.
I'll post the build in Gerryd's thread once all the swagelok parts come in. His post body will be brass.

Brass part numbers for the tube adapter and fitting are:

B-6MO-1-2 (adapter)
B-6M5-4M (tube fitting)

These are specifically for 4mm/6mm (ID/OD) tubing. Might I warn you that CO2 tubing comes in all shapes and sizes, so when in doubt, ask before you order.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Matt,

Gerryd's regulator will not be as tall. The 1/8" female coupler I used adds extra height.

I thought that it had an extra component in there....thanks for confirming I am not crazy...